Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rudy's Green Chile Chicken Stew - need recipe!

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our cheese smoking friends brought dinner over yesterday as their Egg "timeshare" payment. Ginger brought some home-made cornbread and some fabulous green chile chicken stew she'd bought at our local (franchise, not company store) Rudy's BBQ (the worst BBQ in Texas, as they advertise).

So now I need a recipe! It's got spicy green chile, had chunks of potato, obviously some smoked, shredded chicken, not sure what else. It is fabulous and I need to make some! This in NOT white chili - no beans that I could detect (but then, I'd had some wine.....)

Anyone familiar with the product who can offer up a recipe for such a thing? I know I can buy it, but I have a passion for cooking everything I possibly can from scratch... (the other gals on my street think I'm a freak, they'd rather eat out every meal or buy prepared meals from Schwan's....).
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Don't know about that place, but here is one I have been doing for years. Perhaps it will serve as a guide.Just toss in some papas.

Chili, Pork, Green

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild
    2-3 3 1/2 Ozs. Green Chilis, Diced
    1 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca
    4 Tbs. Red Tomato Paste`
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder,
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Preparation
    1 Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.
    2 Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.
    3 Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.
    4 Works well with leftover turkey or chicken also. Freezes very well!
    5 This can also be done on the BGE, 9 QT Dutch Oven, Indirect, Plate Setter leg up, something to lift the DO off the plate setter 1/2 inch or so, 350F, no top on DO, light smoke couple of hours. Keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Yield: 2

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1980/05/25
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Michelle,
    Here is the one that I cooked at Eggs By the Bay Egg Feast in 08.
    Ross
    sc045b136b.jpg
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Thanks, Ross! I think if I use either chicken or turkey thighs in that recipe I'll get something close!
    Egging in Crossville, TN