Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex Steak Method

Options
Kip
Kip Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally found the extra 20 minutes last night to rest the steaks. And TRex is right....best steaks yet. Thanks for the education.[p]Kip

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Kip,[p]Glad the method worked out well for you.[p]Sounds like Joel did the 20 minute rest on that 40 ounce hamburger he cooked this past weekend. I haven't tried the method on burgers yet, but now I think I have to.[p]TRex
  • Kip,[p]I am a TRex disciple as well. The method works out great for me. The egg takes about that long to cool down anyway, and of course the results are fantastic.
  • TRex, you know I'm a believer in your method as well, but for the like of me I can't see how or why that method would have any impact on ground beef - afterall it doesn't have sufficient size to "relax"

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    kat,[p]I don't know about size - Joel's burger looked about 3" thick. However, the beef of course is ground, so it is not one continuous muscle. Thus, perhaps the "relaxing" doesn't really apply here. Plus, ground beef is already pretty tender. I guess the difference might be in the juice redistribution, but who knows if that would make a big difference either. Either way, I'd like to give it a try just to see.[p]Joel, if you read this, let us know your results from doing the 20 minute rest on your burger.[p]TRex
  • Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    TRex,
    I actually didn't do the 20 min rest cooking method because I thought it would taste better, I did it to get a good sear on the meat, then drop the egg temp to 350-400 and then finish cooking the center. I find your method works amazing with steaks to get the perfect "doneness" and it did the same with the burger. I will say this..... it was the most tender and juicy burger, I had ever had. I am not sure if it was due to the cooking method, but I am going to take some ground beef out of the freezer tonight, and give it a try tomorrow.
    -Joel