Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerked Turkey

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As of last week, my eggs have been very cold for the better part of three months. Last week I was able to fire up the medium to cook some hot dogs. It was kind of a prep for baseball season. At that time, I learned that I would have company on Sunday. I knew that there was no time to get to the West Side Market to get anything to cook and then I remembered that I had an 11-pound frozen turkey stuck in the back of the Freezer for almost a year and a half. It came out of the freezer on Wednesday morning and by Saturday Morning, it was still kind of frozen. Using Cold Water, I was able to finish the thawing process. I applied about a quarter cup of Nate’s Old Time Jerk Seasoning, mostly under the skin. I put the bird in a plastic bowl and put it back in the refrigerator.[p]I awoke Sunday morning to find some snowflakes in the air (bummer). I wheeled the Medium out of the garage and fired it up. I rubbed the skin with Olive Oil and got the Turkey on around 10AM. Here is the setup that I used: inverted platesetter, four kiln posts, throw away aluminum drip pan and adjustable V-Rack. I use one chunk of Guava and one chunk of apple as the smoking woods. I started cooking with the breast down and after 1.5 hours, I flipped it to breast side up. I used a temperature of 200 to start with and then slowly increased it to 350 over the course of the cook.[p]Around 1:30, I noticed that the dome temperature was falling and the breast temp was stuck at 170. I decided to reload the lump, so I did. Of course, I forgot to check the egg vent. After 15 minutes, the dome temp was at 600. I was worried the that not only did ruin the turkey, but my polder as well. Fortunately, I ruined neither. The only thing that I did ruin was the drippings, so I could not make gravy. I am still trying to get used to the charcoal consumption of the Medium vs. the Small.[p]The bird hit 180 around 2PM and by 3PM we were eating a wonderful meal with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans.[p]My wife’s grandmother, who cooks the turkey for every Thanksgiving, really liked it and could not believe that the turkey had been frozen at all let alone for a year and a half.[p]Jerked Turkey is one to try again.
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Sounds awesome. I still have a 12 lber in my freezer I want to get rid of soon. I think your set up there just motivated me for this weekend.
    Did you decide on Eggfest yet?
    ST
    [/b]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    The reservations have been made, but I will not know until that week if I can go or not. I would even like to get there in time for the Crab fest on Friday night, but that would be pushing it.
    R&J

• Pig Picker
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]180*? I've never taken a turkey breast past 165*. After I take it off the Egg I wrap it in foil and the temp normally rises to near 170*. [p]Just a matter of personal taste, I've always found 180* too much. Is 180* every dry for you?[p]PP
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Pig Picker,[p]it's a question of how you get get to 180º. If you go low and slow you're okay.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Our party is now up to four people. Together, we will call ourselves the fellowship of the keg. I feel bad for the folks with rooms next to ours. If none of us end up in jail, I'm going to count the trip as a success.[p]I, too, am silly busy at work. I'm planning on getting done with work at 8 or 9pm on Thursday, watching Survivor on tape, forcing myself to sleep, then leaving relatively early on Friday so we can make the meet and greet. Check-in time is 3pm. First beer to be cracked open at 3pm and 1 second.[p]Heeeee,
    Cornfed

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Pig Picker,
    You may be right. I can honestly say that this may be only the fourth whole turkey that I have ever cooked and the first that I have egged.
    I consulted a recipe from Smoke and Spice to get a basis for the time and temp. I probably should have lifted the Bird instead of reloading the charcoal.[p]Thanks for the suggestion,
    RhumAndJerk

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Who's Nate? Rumgirl JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    char buddy, I also yank mine at 165 in the breast. (And, as you recall, I WON an outdoor turkey cooking competition.... & I never noticed that you are a Mac man. Iit's all beginning to make sense now). JCA

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Yeah, you're right. I like 180º in the thigh and 165 in the breast. [p]About the Mac - guilty (pleasure) as charged.[p]Would love to hear details about how you cook your jerk turkey or chicken. [p]CB
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Sorry, it was Nel's Old Time Jerk Seasoning out of Palmers Cross, Clarendon, Jamaica.
    The jar is now empty.
    R&J