Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Study: Bringing Steak temp up before cooking

Options
Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A fellow egger got me thinking about this exercise. It's something I've done for years, but never took the time to actually 'study' the impact of my practice. I am talking about bringing a steak internal temp up prior to cooking. It has been my experience that by bringing meat temps up before the cook:
1) the protein strands begin to relax, purging excess water before the cook
2) the internal temp is closer to the dersired end result after cooking, and
3) the meat will cook more evenly throughout.

I started with Boneless Ribeyes, 1 1/2 inches thick.

Here is what I found (note ambient home temp was 76):
35 degrees internal when removed from fridge at 5:30
(removed packaging, and placed on plate)
42 degrees internal at 5:45
48 degrees internal at 6:00
50 degrees at 6:10
56 degrees at 6:30 (began firing egg)
59 degrees at 6:45
64 at 7:05
66 degrees at 7:10, onto egg

Conclusion: In one hour, the internal temp rose by
an impressive 22 degrees. This rise would indeed have a major impact already when beginning the cook.
In one hour forty minutes, the internal temp rose a very impressive total of 31 degrees!

Any concerns regarding 'unsafe food handling' should be dismissed, as any bacteria dwell only on the outside surface of the steak. They will be immediately killed when seared on the grill. (This practice should NOT be used on ground meats, as the bacteria normally living on a meats surface have been incorporated throughout in the grinding process).

Results:

DSC00043.jpg
The steaks, 1:40 out, ready for Egg! Notice the water puddled on the plate...this was excess water. Also note, the steak was sprinkled with kosher salt, both sides, at 6:30, also helping to pull out the excess water, and making the meat 'happy'. :)

DSC00045.jpg
Onto the egg! (No additional seasonings added)
3 minute sear per side, and removed to plate to rest.

DSC00047.jpg
After a 15 minute rest, ready to eat. Evenly cooked throughout, and a nice med rare.

Hope this encourages more of you fellow eggers to allow your meats to sit out and warm up a bit before firing them on the Egg! :) Also note, this is common practice in the finer restaurants you may dine in. It does make a difference in the end result.

Happy Eggin everyone!

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    This practice should NOT be used on ground meats, as the bacteria normally living on a meats surface have been incorporated throughout in the grinding process

I really think your wrong here, in fact, I'm willing to bet if you try it, & feed it to bubba, that I'll feel fine :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If they are defrosted I toss in the spa, which is at 100F for 30 minutes or so. If frozen 45-60 minutes minutes depending on thickness. This is my hot tub method and works very nicely.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    LC,

How did you make out on the Bomba reconstruction?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Options
    Steve, I have been working so darn much, I have not yet had the chance to try! :( My brain has been working on it though....just too tired to execute. I'll let you know as soon as I do!
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Little Chef:

Did you perform this experiment by leaving the probe in the meat the entire time? If so I think that would materially change the result you may have only warmed up the area around the probe. Did you check any other areas of the meat? The probe is a good conductor of heat. Quick checks with a thermapen would be better.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michelle,

Don't worry too much re-enforcements should be there soon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Options
    Tom,
    Point taken, however, since no external heat source was applied to the probe during these measurements, and the probe (at its measuring point) was inserted into the dead center of the steak, I don't see that the 'warming' result of the probe could be very significant. In addition, it was hard enough for me to put one hole in that meat prior to cooking, let alone a bunch of others. Each hole poked would be like an automatic drain for all my juices! :blink: Couldn't do that to those steaks! :blink: Thanks for your thoughts!
  • TomM24
    Options
    LC:

Sorry for the Little Kim I fixed it. I'm a scientist albeit a chemist and I think the conductivity of the probe would be significant. I believe it was stike that ran a similar experiment with different results. Next time I cook a steak I'll try it with the thermapen.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Howdy Gang, I will go against the advice from my dear friend Zippy. I’m not a Connoisseur, I’m a Carnivore!
    I ate the steak and loved every bite. Eat your heart out Tom. I am not scientifically inclinded to measure a steak in different areas. I use a better method. If it tastes good, I eat it. If it sucks, the disposal gets fed. Don't get me started on where to put the probe... :silly: :silly: :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Interesting study.

If you wanted to get them to come up to temp faster, could probably put on a wire rack where the air can get all around.

Now that I have started a reverse sear, I really do not worry about it much.

I noticed that you rested the steak and I just don't get the point of that on a steak that is going to be served whole. I don't get that much juice leaking out and the juice that is there never hurt a thing! In fact it is PDG on taters or bread.
  • TomM24
    Options
    Touche! My wife just got home as I was starting my post and was typing faster than I was thinking. No ill will was intended. I did not intend to post the wrong name.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Since your talking about Ribeye's, I gotta tell about my total screwup last night. I had a 4" thick, bonein, ribeye. I was going to cook and cut in half to feed my wife and I. Seasoned, set out to bring to room temp.- seared at 700 degrees both sides. Took off and let temp come down to around 400+, Put in a temp probe, and took the steak off at 128. Deboned and cut in half. I was afraid it was too rare for wife, so, dumb me, stuck it in the micro for a couple minutes and totally distroyed a good piece of meat. The meat on the bone was super, the rest was dry and tough. My wife's comment was "When was the last time you heard me **** about meat being too rare". Last time I will ever do that.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Great! Make sure I know you are posting! Fire an email or something. I'd love to see the results! We have two studies that apparently conflict, so it would be nice to have one actually done by a real scientist to true these up! :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Oh God, Belle, disown him, NOW! :woohoo:
    Sorry Dad, couldn't help myself! We learn something new every day! You were spot on, until....well, you already know. It's a learning eggsperience for us all! Next time, you'll have an incredible meal! :) And if the wife complains its too rare, lol, lead her to the microwave! :woohoo:
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Tom...Please understand! That last post was from my husband positng on another computer! :ohmy: It was all in fun! :woohoo: No harm, no foul! Trust me on this! :laugh: It's all good! :)
  • TomM24
    Options
    I'll do that for sure and once again I am very sorry for an unintended mistake. I've always enjoyed your posts and the last thing I would want to do is offend you.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Tom, It's ALL good! Not even CLOSE to being offended! :laugh: Honest! LC.
  • TomM24
    Options
    Good:

We're all cool. The joke about the probe was funny. :laugh: I would have done the same.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    be careful with cross contamination.

touching the bag as it comes out of the spa and then touching the meat....

spas can (sometimes) be a bacterial paradise.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Tom, you do know that LC is my better half? All is good here in Hollywood. No worries. I do have a demented sense of the funnies.. :P :woohoo: :silly: BTW, we have more than one computer. She is on the wireless on the porch and I am on the one in the office..Got to run, I have a pizza on the egg. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Marc, bite me... :silly: :silly:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Stike..Totally agreeing with you with the spa....that kindof gave me the willies. (especially if Bubba Tim had been in there first! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:)
  • stike
    Options
    -DELETED-
  • TomM24
    Options
    bubba tim:

Yes I know you're LC's "other" half I'll leave "better" up to her. Thats why I thought the probe was funny!
  • stike
    Options
    i know what goes on in a spa!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have always heard (and I stress heard with no real clinical evidence) that poking the meat before cooking had no effect on the juiciness of the final product. It was poking the meat during or after cooking that caused the harm.

And I was the one that did a thermapen test with a steak sitting out on the counter in a 70* room. I did not see results nearly as high as the ones you posted. Maybe the thickness of the steak caused the difference.