Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Excited Egger

Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone, I just sent in my order for a new large egg, partially due to what I read on this website. Thanks! I got the large egg with the long table. Three questions:

1) What accessories should I buy from the dealer? Is a cover necessary, drip pan, pizza stone, etc...Obviously, I plan on buying the plate setter for indirect heat at the very least.

2) My wife was concerned about baking breads and other foods where she doesn't want a smoky flavor. Is there certain times of natural lump that produce a more neutral - less smokey flavor? Or is everything I cook going to have the same smokey flavor (not talking about woodchips)? What does everyone do when they want to change it up with no smokiness, but still want the benefits of cooking in the egg so the bread is moist etc.

3) What is the quickest/best way to start her up? Is the electric starter quicker than lighting fire starter little bricks?

Thanks for the help and look forward to trying alot of recipes that are posted here!

Comments

• Try to get your dealer to "throw in" at least the ash raker. The grate tool (for lifting the grate) is good, but the "third hand" looks better.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html (look down the page)

The plate setter ceramic plate is a must for indirect cooks. You might want to consider a pizza stone, and a cover if it is going to be out in the element. I have my large in the "nest" so I can roll it out when cooking, and most dealers will sell wooden tables (or can get the specs online and DIY). Also have the fold-out wooden ledges.

The Ceramic grill store www.ceramicgrillstore.com is a good place to get more accessories as you get more familiar with Egg cooking.

I use an electric starter (buy several at a time at Lowes- $10-11). They WILL burn out, so I always keep a spare on hand. Many use the firestarters and some use propane or flame throwers :laugh: to start their fires.

That should get you going. Many others on here will have helpful suggestions.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Congrats on the new purchase, I think you will be very happy with it.

I use a propane torch for lighting and find that it works well and can be used for little plumbing emergencies as well, some people prefer MAPP. Go easy with the temps for a while and get into the habit of burping the egg before opening fully.

Fire brick splits are handy and can be used instead of a Platesetter.

Have fun
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I use alcohol to light mine. It burns very clean and does a good job of getting the fire going. There are 2 videos on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1VxWsR1Sw

I use cheap aluminum pans as drip pans. I have a Pizza Stone for bread and a V rack which is used for lots of different meats.

I second the motion about the 'third hand' for holding the grate - it is extremely useful. I also bought a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer which has been very useful.

Good luck with your BGE and come back here for excellent support.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    The Naked Wiz is a great site for everything about ceramic cooking.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • If you intend to bake on it I would say get the plate setter and pizza stone,maybe the third hand grid lifter then wait to see what you need.I went out and bought a lot of stuff right away and it was a waste of money.The one thing I use most is the adjustable rig and spider from Ceramic grill store,if you want to make jerky get it with the full complement of oval grids and bars,I use it all the time except when baking.Tom has several goodies on his site and everything is top quality.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Jim
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Shiff wrote:
    I use alcohol to light mine. It burns very clean and does a good job of getting the fire going. ......

I have been using the 91% alcohol to light mine the last few times also. I think I am going to stick with it, as it seems to work really well.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I should also mention that I don't use the syringe with the alcohol. I took the suggestion of another poster here on the forum and just punched a tiny hole in the seal under the bottle cover. This allows a little alcohol to dribble out. I made a circle with the alcohol about halfway out from the center and then give a few quick squirts at 3 points around the circle. Seems to start quickly and is very easy to do.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Hsbldr1
    Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    other than my digiqII (which I am glad I learned to control my temps without it first.) my favorite purchase to date is my cast iron grate. I just think those grill marks left by a 700 degree sear on a cast iron grate looks so impressive. anyway happy egging and welcome
  • Hey and welcome! I have owned my Large BGE since 1996, waaayyy before they had any eggsessories!! You will be fine on your own at first, as I was. Just experiment and allow the Egg to do it's thing - you will soon decide what foods you want to try this way and that, the good thing is that you can always improvise. Good luck and enjoy!

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini