Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE - Fix ?

Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had a large Egg for almost a year and love it. I think I'm going to get the "Small" one as a second but understand there is a problem with the lid or latch.[p]Can anyone tell me what the problem is ? My local dealer is about to have an early spring sale and I want to be sure I get the updated one if there is a problem.[p]Doug

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Doug,
    The problem is with the new spring assisted hinge for the small. They are experimenting trying to get it right because it apparently doesn't seal very well. The old hinge is, in my humble opinion, a pain in the patoot. It is a scissors hinge that requires 2 hands and a tool to operate. I'm waiting for a spring assist hinge before I buy a small. If you don't want to wait, talk to your dealer about what they are going to be willing to do when the spring hinge finally comes out. Will they trade even/steven? Will they upgrade for a small charge? Will they charge you full price for a new hinge? [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Doug, a large followed by a small was my choice too. In fact 2 years ago. The combo is wonderful. When I bought mine the spring hinge for a small wasn't even a gleam in an engineers eye. Though TNW and some others seem to have a hassle with the old hinge I've learned to cope quite easily. It does not seem to open as wide as your large, but hey that minor amount of inconvenience is soon forgotten when you sear your steaks close to that 700° bed of flaming lump. [p]My advice? Go for it! Life isn't a dress rehearsal!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    steak1.jpg
    <p />Doug,[p]I have had my small for 3+ years and I can assure you the small is a super little cooker. There is nothing wrong with the hinge. It may not open as far as some would like but there is nothing wrong with it. I use mine more than the other ceramic tools O have and I am not planning to get a new hinge anytime soon for it. [p]I am sure Bge will develope a new hinge for it someday (some already have one on theirs but they are still not available) but I wouldn't let that stop you. The original hinge is fine, works fine and will do a good job for you. [p]Tim
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Doug,[p]The Small is a workhorse at our house. It sits nicely between our Large and our Mini. Tonight the Small has the honor as the vessle of choice to grill some pork chops - starting with a sear at 700°F +.[p]The present hinge is very satisfactory, as Tim and RRP have stated. Don't wait on a spring-hinge if you believe that you can get an acceptable deal on a Small now.[p]Puj
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Doug,
    I agree whole heartely with the others - go for it now, especially if your dealer is going to put smalls on sale. You will learn to get along with the hinge. I use my small twice or three times for evey one time I use my large. I wouldn't even think about giving up my large - don't get me wrong. But since I usually am just cooking for two, the small is perfect for much of what I do on the egg.