Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old gasket removal

Options
GatorEgg
GatorEgg Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 2 years, I finally burnt my gasket up. I went ahead and replaced it this weekend with a felt one from BGE. It was available locally and I needed a something to do yesterday afternoon. I've read numerous threads on old gaskets, burnt gaskets and high temp gaskets. I start the removal process by scaping off the remains of the old gasket with a putty knife. The charred remains came off easily, but the 2 year old adhesive wasn't cooperating. Looking in my tool box for something that might make it easier I found a new hack saw blade sitting in the bottom. Using it to scape off the old adhesive was much easier than anything I tried. The technique I used was pulling the blade towards me varying the direction of the stroke in and out. This left a small daimond shaped pattern of old glue on the surface that was easily removed with the 3m paint stripper. I was careful not to put to much downward pressure on the blade so it wouldn't dig into the BGE.
This leaves the surface very clean for the new adhesive so I shouldn't have any problems with the new gasket sticking to the BGE.
I hope this helps!!

Comments

• NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    There is one piece of advice that I got from HQ that I have not seen here...
    I had spent about an hour, using acetone and denatured alcohol, trying to remove every last bit of old adhesive and still had several areas that were tacky. In frustration, I called HQ & was told that I did not have to get every last little bit off, but to just make sure that I had removed all of the lumps/globs and loose material. It is not necessary to get down to bare ceramic.

I applied 3M adhesive and my nomex gasket. After two cooks, everything is holding nicely.

One other piece of advice...even if you already have a felt gasket on hand, throw it out, buy a nomex and install it instead. The recent felt ones are absolute garbage and you will be in for another install in a few cooks if you put one on.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    NCSU-Q wrote:

One other piece of advice...even if you already have a felt gasket on hand, throw it out, buy a nomex and install it instead. The recent felt ones are absolute garbage and you will be in for another install in a few cooks if you put one on.

That is just simply not true...The only problem with felt gaskets is a batch of weak adhesive backings,if you apply it with 3M super 77 spray adhesive your felt gasket will last for years, My gasket on my large lasted 7 years and it was felt. Not everyone that owns a BGE needs a nomex gasket.
  • GatorEgg
    Options
    Yeah, If I'd had a hi temp gasket laying around I would have. I've had this felt one for about 1 1/2 years. I actually bought it to line the cut out in my marble table top. My next replacement will definitely be a hi temp gasket, but I was bored yesterday and went ahead and used the felt one I had on hand.
    The removal of the adhesive was just as you said, I got about 90% of the old stuff off. Using the hack saw blade accomplished this very nicely.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I had part of my 2ND felt gasket come loose on the dome, I just took some hi temp silicone and glued it back on. No problem so far,it was only about a foot and a half so I thought why not give it a try.

I used the same stuff on my mini when I replaced the felt gasket, holding very well. :)

Regards,
    Bordello
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    I didn't say "everyone that owns a BGE needs a nomex
    gasket." I do not believe that everyone in egg-land should rip off their felt gasket just to install a nomex one! I said that if you are already at a point where you have to replace one, that you should install what is clearly a superior product, even if you have an extra felt one on hand.

If the felt was the answer, why did HQ not just fix the adhesive problem and stay with the same material?

They changed material completely because nomex has better overall properties and will provide better longevity.

I've had two felt gaskets fail in a matter of 3 months, so pardon me if my view of their quality is a bit jaundiced. I stand completely by my previous recommendation.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am sort of with Biscuit on this one. There are two distinct and different problems with the gaskets.

Felt gasket failure itself which hasn't been very common in the last while.

Secondly, adhesive failure and recently, most likely a bad run of adhesive.

The failure of the felt itself happened more with T-Rexing, flashbacks and times when dome was opened or when some large mass was close to the gasket - large dutch oven, pizza stones etc.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Removing the gasket does not have to be long and involved.

I have gone through more than my fair share of gaskets in the past. Last year I was tired of the tortuous job of replacing gaskets and decided to try and come up with something easier. Using acetone was not working well and was expensive. 91% alcohol on the final clean worked well and was very inexpensive.

After discovering an quick and easy way to remove the gaskets and posting details, I was talking with HQ about alignment. I was told that one shouldn't use chemicals to remove the gasket/adhesive as the chemicals would cause problems with the new adhesive adhering to the ceramic.

If you are interested here is the original post. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=475706&catid=1

HQ also said using sanders, grinders, scraping or anything that would damage the ceramic would void the warranty.

By accident I found another way to easily and quickly remove the gasket. I had finished doing a cook and I noticed the gasket was coming off. While the egg was hot, about 350° dome, I grabbed the scraper, showed above in the link, and both gaskets came off in about 5 to 10 minutes. The disadvantage was I was working with a hot egg.

Obviously, heat was the problem and the solution to gasket removal.

The next replacement, with the egg cold, I used a torch, MAPP or propane, working in short lengths about 10 inches and the gasket & adhesive removed very easily and fast. The torch head must have a broad flame as apposed to a pencil pointed flame.

On the next removal I am going to test using alcohol, working in short lengths and small amounts of alcohol. Let the alcohol soak then light to create the heat. I suspect this will also be a very effective removal technique.

A note of caution, alcohol and flame can be very dangerous so take precautions if anyone tries this before I get around to doing it. I am guessing 1/2 oz (20cc) at a time after soaking would work.

GG
  • GatorEgg
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try heating the old gasket next time I replace it. I didn't mean to start a pro & con of the type gasket to use. I was merely trying relay an easier way to remove the old hard adhesive. The hack saw blade did this very efficiently with minimum effort as described in my orignal post. Next time, I'll heat the egg up and use the hack saw blade to scape the adhesive off. It should work even better.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Don't worry about the pro/con thing. I think Nomex is better without question. The felt works well other than when extreme hits the felt. The Naked Whiz site has an interesting page about egg temperatures at and around the gasket area.

When you talked about a hacksaw blade it make me think of the smooth 'saber saw' type blades. Sort of a knife type glade. I think that would work well also.

Try the heat, you will know in a few seconds if it is the method for you.

GG