Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too Salty

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my steaks last night (one tbone, one strip, one filet). Used the lemon/soy/oil soak for a few hours followed by the mustard/pepper/kosher salt rub(light). I'm finding that this comes out way too salty for my tastes (of course I eat unsalted popcorn, so that doesn't take much!). It is light soy, but still has a good sodium heft according to the label. If I eliminate the salt rub, will I still get that nice crustiness on the outside?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    MollyShark,[p]The crust is mainly a result of the use of the mustard. By all means eliminate the kosher salt.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MollyShark,
    I use soy sauce, and many other sauces with salt in them. You definitely need to factor that in, because like you said, they pack a hefty sodium punch! Fish sauce is really loaded. A shorter marinade, and less salt will help you a great deal. Not sure how much the salt contributes to the crustiness though.[p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, Try just a mustard rub if you haven't already. Somewhere back in my memory bank salt draws moisture from the meat. So for a more juicy steak, or (?) save the salt for the table application. I do use seasonings with salt in em along with the mustard/rub applications and find the steak is still juicy..So (?) no help but just ideas. Hope your lawn work is over now. Wow..that was a big wind.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MustardSteak_031400.jpg
    <p />MollyShark, the steaks in the picture were marinated (about 4 hours) with the soy/lemon juice/olive oil combination. Before going on the grill, they were slathered with mustard. No salty taste - just great results.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Gfw,
    Nice pic's Gordon! Did KC strips on da Egg last night! Man oh man what a treat! Tender, juicy, smokey flavor, just melt in your mouth! Don't know how it could be better! (unless it a prime rib cookin' dis afternoon!) My wifey says I'm going to jail! Cookin' dis good has got to be against da law![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: What no sweet potaters to rile me up? :^)

• Char-Woody
    Dr. Chicken, In defense of Gordon, dem sweet taters is delightful..Sometime try this...It's different from Gordons, and I would like him to try this also. Many years ago, when in my early teens I was a bellhop in the old Bradford Hotel in a small Iowa town. They had a reputation for the dinners served there, and the chef made some of the best sweet taters I ever ate. Carmelized with marshmellow toppings..I am getting close to them with mine.
    A few months ago I was crying for a recipe, and no takers. So I struck out on my own. I wound up with the best taters being peeled and quartered. Butter the quarters generously and sprinkle coat em with dark brown sugar. wrap all 4 quarters in the same package of aluminum foil. Only takes about a hour at 300 to 350 degrees and do em indirect so you don't scorch the taters in the foil. They are great.[p]My next attempt is to open the foil at the end of a hour and insert two marshmellows on top and close the dome for about 5 more minutes to melt the marshmellows. I bet those will be super caladosious sweet tater's...Love them puppies.
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Char-Woody,
    I will (against my better judgement! :^) ) give them a try again! I've been cookin' winter squash fer years up at the deer shack, 'cause the "boys" love dem! (Yuk!) I had to try them again, 'cause everyone said they were fantastic! What a bummer and what a terriffic "let down"! Same results when I cooked 'em fer my In-laws. They loved 'em, I thought they wuz gross! (the squash, not the In-laws!)
    Ders jist somtine 'bout eating that mealy, grainy, slightly sweet mush! (never liked mush neither!)[p]But [:^)] I will try dem again, to satisfy my "morbid curiousity"![p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Dr. Chicken, I understand you completely.. I have the same aberations about rhubarb. I got sick eating raw rhubarb and I cannot stand the smell of it now. I accidently picked up a rhubarb pie and thought it was something else at a smorgasborg place one time...Phuttuuuiiiii..Same thing for tapioca. Bleeeeeeeh...So you have me sympathy with the sweet taters..Wish you did like em!! :-)
    Cherrio..C~W
    (BTW, FWIW, my wiffy hates sweet taters too!)

• Dr. Chicken
    Char-Woody,
    But I love Tapioca pudding and Rhubarb! I went to a sports banquet for our oldest daughter the year she graduated from HS. My Mother came out to see her grand-daughter graduate. At the dinner my mom saw a Sweet potato pie and said it was butterscotch! Needless to say, it weren't!!! I struggled with that fer a long time!!! :^)[p]Dr. Chicken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    C-W, I printed your message and hopefully will get a chance to try them later this week - recipe title "C~W's Carmelized Sweet Potatoes".

• Char-Woody
    Dr. Chicken, ya need new taste buds...:-) You do pretty good with bread tho!!!
    C~W LATWTTF.....(laughing all the way to the fridge)