Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna steaks

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna do my second ever tuna steak this afternoon. I have searched around for different marinades or rubs, and I`m kinda doin my own thing with some Jim Beam marinade and other spices including Tsunami spin...I am considering a little chunk of mesquite for smoke...I would like to know what kinda times and temps would you recommend???[p]Wess

Comments

• KNolish
    KNolish Posts: 8
    I do tuna by time, not temperature. With a reasonably hot dome, say 400-500, hot enough to get some grill lines, but not hot enough for a real sear, I do a minute or two each side and then repeat with the tuna rotated 45 degrees to get a nice grill pattern on the fish. I usually grill a piece no thinner than 1/2 inch or so.[p]I watch the texture. If it starts to feel "solid" then you want to pull it. [p]I brush with a mixture of Soy, ginger, garlic to tase, and honey right before I pull it off the grill.[p][p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    WessB,
    How did the tuna come out? KNolish had some good cooking advice below. [p]Was 80 here yesterday. Today an inch of wet sloppy snow is on the grass. Comin down hard now.[p]What happened to spring?
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Nature Boy,
    Unfortunately I think I let it cook a little to long. It came out a little tough and slightly dry. I cooked at 350°to 400° for about 4 or 5 mins. per side..but I think the real kicker was that this was a piece I had in the freezer so it wasn`t fresh..the taste was pretty good.....and I have had enough of this friggin snow, we don`t have any accumulation and it seems to have stopped but who`d a thunk..70 something yesterday..snowin like crazy today..
    Lookin forward to Eggfest..[p]Wess