Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my first brisket is a-smokin!!

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well all, its raining, but i have my first brisket doing a slo and lo tonight. .. thanks to all of the tips i got from the bretherin here on the bge forum. .. i got a nice 10 pounder, prepped it last night with kosher salt/ground pepper/bge rub/and my team capt brett's special rub. .. .around four this afternoon, i loaded up the egg per directions from all of you (thx nature boy/woo-doggis/naked whiz/charbuddy/brett and others). .. started up the egg with my brand new MAPP torch (thanks for that advice as well). . .got the egg stabilized beautifully at around 230 dome temp (again, following all of your advice about keeping the lower damper about a credit card width open, and tweaking with the daisy wheel. . .and i laid on the brisket around 6 this evening. . .stay tuned for the review tomorrow. . .it could be a great piece of meat or a hockey puck worthy of the guiness book of records. .. stay tuned. . .and thanks again for everyone's help so far. . .

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Hey dude, if you get lonely over night - check in and give us a buzz. We'll be wit cha. [p]Did sausages I got from a local high school food prep class. A lot cheaper than the stuff I get from the local stores and they weren't afraid to use peppers and spices. The flavors are still bouncing around in my mouth and I had dinner hours ago.[p]CB

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Nice! So how's the inaugural brisket cook going?[p]Curious to hear what setup you chose to go with and if char buddy has invited himself over for lunch, yet. :~)[p]
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What kind of wood are you using for smoke?

• WooDoggies,[p]got it fired up nice yesterday w/bge lump. . .let it sit for 24 hours first, rubbed w/ kosher salt/pepper/bge rub/some of 'brett's' rub. . .added a chunk of well soaked hickory when i put it in. .. it's now been in 16 hours (9.5 lb brisket). . . i was able to maintain a nice dome temp of around 220 all night (thanks for the damper advice btw). ..but i just checked internal temp and i'm already at 190 internal. .. i don't want to panic, but is it done??? should i pull it?. .. i'm inclined to leave it on alittle longer, but how long?? it sure looks and smells good
  • char buddy,[p]i got my brisket going, and brett has his butt going across the street and its frickin snowing out here. .. see my other postings to woodoggies and let me know what you think as well. . .[p]btw, thanks for the tip on the mapp torch, got one yesterday at home depot. .. love it. .. brett used it last night as well. . .
  • Steve-O,
    see my response to woodoggies. . ..i am now at 190 internal after 16 hours at an average of 220 dome temp. . trying to decide if it is time to pull it or let it go a little longer. . .i used bge lump w/ a well soaked piece of hickory. .. i rubbed it in kosher salt/pepper/bge rub/brett (my team capt) spcl rub. .. it sure looks and smells good. .. i just can't decide if its quite done yet. . .

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]There are a lot of folks who pull the brisket around 190, foil it, wrap in towels and put in a cooler for a few hours.[p]Nature Boy showed me a technique that has worked well for me.
    Take the polder probe and push it into the meat.... if it slides in and out like butter, it is ready. I would still foil and let it reast for at least an hour after pulling.[p]I have also taken about a cup of beef broth and added to the foil before sealing up for the rest.... theory is that the brisket will absorb some of the liquid.... but I haven't done that enough to know if it makes a difference or not.[p]Hope this isn't too late.... let's hear how it turned out.... thats some good eatin'.[p]John[p]

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]congrats on the inaugural brisket. Wish I could be there - you know to help you figure out if it tastes right.[p]Wish i could help with the 190º - to pull or not to pull puzzle. I've only done two briskets and I'm never sure when to pull. But, Nature Boy and Woodoogies seem to know what they're doing with a hunk of chest.[p]CB