Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 lb. beef tenderloin

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking one on my dad's new small bge (the inaugural cook - it's his birthday present!). Haven't done a tenderloin before - can anyone help with temp and time suggestions? Thanks.[p]'Bread

Comments

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I cooked mine on a medium indirect at 350° for about 45 minutes. Be sure and moniter internal so you don't overdo it! I'm guessing about 130 ° for a medium rare.
    You can't go wrong with that cut of meat.

[ul][li]tenderloin[/ul]
  • Cornbread Willy
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Wow - man, that looks awesome. Do you think I could get a good result cooking it direct? I'm not sure what my indirect options will be cooking with the small egg (i've only ever used my large). Thanks again.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]Of course you can. Sear at 500-600º for 5 minutes each side, then back temps down to 400º and finish. Should take around 20 minutes. I baste often when doing this.[p]Stogie
  • Cornbread Willy, it's very easy to overcook this cut. I take them off at 115° internal, for med rare. After resting ten minutes they are just right (for me).

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I have never even seen a small so indirect might be hard to do.
    Stogie sounds like he has a good method. I just like keep something between the meat and the coals to avoid that "blackend" look. George may be right about the internal temp. 130° might be a tad high for medium rare. You sure don't want to overcook!