Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid fit / Gasket burnt up

Options
Rad
Rad Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys new here and to BGE cooking. Got an Extra large for Christmas. Have already done Boston Butt, Ribs, hamburgers and Pizza. My question is my lid does not fit as well as I would expect. The lid started out about 1/4" back on the cooker. Set up by my dealer. I have about 24 hours on the cooker total and have burned up the upper and lower gasket. I loosened the adjustment arms (slotted mount on the lid band) and pulled the lid forward about 1/8 of an inch but there is still a little mismatch. Lid back about 1/8" back as compared to the cooker
1. Is this what burned up my gasket?
2. How do I get the lid to align better?
forgive me if this is in the wrong place and if I don't get back quickly I still haven't figured out how to navigate theis web site.
Rad

Comments

• Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Go back to your dealer and get a new gasket for free,take the dome off the base to put on your new gasket.After that you can align the dome and base while you reassemble your EGG.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    SOunds like it was what caused the problem. Is the band clamp all the way up. on the dome and all the way down, on the base? Also, remove the springs and then see if you have a better fit without them.
  • Rad
    Options
    Thanks I will try removing the springs. Also are the assembly instructions on the net somewhere. The guys that delivered it took any documentation with them. I have the glossy stuff and the cd but no true assembly instructions. Like how to adjust the lid fit etc. Biscuit, That's kind of the problem. Not only did my dealer not have them in stock he charged me for them. I was out of town and sent my wife so there may have been a misunderstanding. No big deal but definitely not good PR.
    Thanks for the help
    Rad
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    This might help. Where are you? maybe someone can come over and help.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/videos/cs_videos.html
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I also have the XL and fried my gasket on the first cook - my bad.

I replaced the gasket with a felt one and butned it up after several cooks. Both times while doing a high temp cook.

Then I replaced with a nomex and haven't had any issues.

I suggest ordering a nomex - you can only get the nomex by calling BGE direct. Return the felt to your dealer for a refund.

Like Mike says - check to make sure the band is up against the lip on the dome and base.

Sending an email that may be helpful.
  • Rad
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I think I will take Franks advise and go Nomex. I watched the assembly video again Mike will recheck my bands when I re-install the new Nomex Gasket.
    Thanks
    Rad
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    I didn't know BGE mothership offered a non-felt gasket. Did that happen recently? I've been off the forum for a couplea months.

Sounds like I have somethin' new to order!

Rad, Getting the alignment correct is pretty important. I've heard of guys who had the lid slightly loose and "lost" it after months of cooking on it with no issues. You need to check the alignment and security frequently.

And don't worry. Almost ALL of us have burnt up a gasket before. Heck, I burned mine within the first two months and have been cooking gasketless for over a year.
  • Dr Rob
    Options
    Looks like you have it taken care of, but for future reference--I fought this over the last month, had the same problem you have had. Aligning the lid by loosening the nuts attaching the hinge to the band is a quick fix, but the problem may be the hinge mechanism itself. When looking from above, make sure the arms of the hinge that attach to the band are aligned--if the upper does not line up with the bottom then you have a problem and won't be able to fix it. To fix, loosen the the nuts attatching the hinge to the lid, then loosen all of the bolts/nuts on the hinge mechanism. Readjust the lid fit here. You can get the top and bottom arms of the hinge aligned this way, then tighten the nuts--careful to keep it in position as you do so. Then tighten the nuts attaching the hinge to the band. You may also want to have the bands slightly loose, but do not open the lid with everything loose.

Hope this helps--I got it done in time for SB Sunday, have cooked a brisket, six racks of ribs and all is well. I have been through two gaskets. If it burns again I will be getting a different gasket.