Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My way of dropping a few pounds

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
Since I quit smoking 17 years ago the pounds have slowly accumulated add to that the fact I take a medication that gives me a horrific appetite and I could weigh 400 pounds. The medication does something to whatever part of my brain (no comments please)and I just keep eating.

My ideal weight is around 175 - 185 for my height and until recently I was running at 210.

I've begun to drop some weight by reading labels for sugar content, serving size and then weighing the portions I take on a kitchen scale. I've dropped about 7 pounds so far but, I still have to push myself away from the table because the medication is still working.

Also looking into a stationary bike to help burn some calories and keep up on the cardio.

Just my 2¢ worth

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Enjoyed your interesting comments! I quit smoking 4 years ago and while I didn't compensate by gorging myself with food, the pounds have gradually crept up on me. Unfortunately, I've become less active and that is part of the problem. I sit for hours at my 'play' station every day with the TV, computer, phone, and multi-function fax, etc. machine at my finger tips. I often wonder if I had to pedal on a stationary bike (like a squirrel in a cage) to keep it all going if I'd have a weight problem. I think not... Anyone know a good patent attorney? 8 - )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    IMHO bikes don't do enough... they ONLY work part of your legs.. not butt, no arms, no abs. I did actual mountain biking on trails for a long time, and it never helped me with my weight.

You might want to look at something like a treadmill or elliptical so your butt gets a workout (large muscle = burn more calories)... I've seen ones that also have levers on them to work your arms (which equals 30% more calorie burn)...

For me, I found strapping on my backpack, loaded with 30 lbs of sandbags, and using my hiking poles to do the neighborhood or trails if I can find them does the trick. Backpacking, IMHO, combines both weight bearing exercise and aerobics, especially when you are working to push off with a pair of hiking poles and working the back of your arms and shoulders, and the higher center of gravity forces your abs and core muscles to work as well.

The other benefit of getting outdoors is exposure to high intensity, natural, full spectrum light... which in the Winter I need or face dealing with SAD (seasonal affective depression/disorder). And the "head trip" of being out on a trail in nature, away from the TV and all the other trappings/B.S. of modern life is another added plus.

But again, this is just my two cents worth.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    I used to bike a lot and it was definitely great for weight loss and getting the lower half in shape. Unfortunately, what it doesn't do for you (nor does elliptical work) is put enough weight bearing good stress on the joints, so you won't get the same protective benefits of walking.

For us gals, weight bearing exercise is important to avoid osteopenia and osteoporosis.

Which reminds me, I need to get out there and WALK :blush:
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    After my checkup and blood workup I decided with my doctors advice to exercise and lose some weight. I dug out my DP AirGometer bike and started to try to keep a regimen. This bike exercises both the lower and upper body. I've had it stowed away for many years unused. I've got to loose at least 50lbs. I'm too old to be carrying around that much extra weight. I'm 81 and 5'11 and 254lbs.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    How does using a stairmaster compare to the stationary bike or eliptical??

fc
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I highly recommend the stationary bike. I started about 4 weeks ago and have lost almost 10 lbs. We have been eating right in addition to doing the bike. There is one catch, I really encourage you to try and get into the "Spin" classes or indoor cycling classes instead of just hopping on a stationary bike. It is a world of difference, for me, to be in a class with a good instructor that is pushing you to your limits for an hour and a room full of energy. I hope to keep it up for years if I can stick with it. This is what I do for cardio and lower body workout. I still try to do a few routines for upper body strength. According to my polar, I burnt almost 900 calories this morning at a class that last about 1 hr and 15 min!