Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do make regular exercise a habit?

Options
Smokin Tiger
Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
We have all started and stopped. The best I ever did was a couple of years ago I had worked up to exercising 4-5 days a week (running 3 days). I lost 30 pounds, could run 4-5 miles easily and was really getting into it. It took me about 9 months to get to that point then I injured one of my knees and fell off the wagon. :( Needless to say, I have gained the weight back over the past two years. :blink: I am starting up again. My plan this time is to walk for a long time before I start trying to run again.

I love to cook and enjoy eating as much as anyone I know. I suspect that is true of anyone who hangs out on this forum. ;) :laugh: While I am certainly going to make changes in what I eat and how much, I have had much better luck controlling my weight with exercise than diet. In fact, when I was really getting after it, I could eat pretty much anything I wanted and still loose weight.

What are you using for motivation to make this a lifestyle change instead of a short term goal?

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I drink to get motivated..then after a while it helps me find more excuses why I should NOT exercise :blink: :P :woohoo: EVERYBODY knows you shouldn't drink and exercise..you could really hurt yourself like that! :S
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Whatever works for you! I was thinking more along the lines of getting healthy for myself, my wife and my kids and because I really don't want to buy bigger pants... B)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The biggest key is to not overdo it, as you have discovered. The problem is we all age and cannot do what we used to do without injury or stress related fatigue on our muscles and joints.

Ease into a program and after several weeks it becomes habit instead of something you force yourself to do.

Personally, I am a treadmill user. I parked it in my bedroom instead of in the basement so it is always a focal point and reminder. I also bought a rather expensive model for two reasons. First because if you use an inferior product you will not use it for various reasons. Look how many times per week we all use our BGE compared to how often we used to cook on (in my opinion) inferior grilling products. Secondly because I am the type of person that if I have spent money on it then I am going to use it out of personal obligation. I hate to waste anything, especially money.

I do 45-50 minutes each and every day unless I am on the road or ill. I make time for it. Even on the road I try to make time to hit the hotel exercise room or take a nice brisk walk outdoors.

If you do it right, in moderation, and make it a habit you will eventually look forward to it, feel better, sleep better, and will feel better about yourself.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    I already have a really nice treadmill and have moved it right beside my TV watching chair. I can be a bit of a multi-tasker so the plan is to walk while watching TV, probably the food network. I walked 40 minutes earlier and plan to keep it up. I am starting slow 3.6 MPH and will work the speed up in a few weeks.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, move at any speed for 20 - 40 minutes, is better than just sitting and watching the tube. There's bound to be a nice benefit there for your metabolism.
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    I like the treadmill in front of the TV idea - Giada would get me runnin'!! :lol: just don't fall into the trap of using it as a clothes hanger.

Another idea - do you belong to a gym? Nothing wrong to use a little guilt as a motivator. Also - sign up for a regular class and book it on your schedule far out in advance, and don't impinge on that time. If you block it off, it helps so you don't make excuses to do it tomorrow. If you can exercise 3x a week, it really only takes a few weeks to turn it around so you'll start looking for excuses to GET to the gym.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i ice fish on the weekends and its amazing the workout you get just walking in heavy boots, just a few extra pounds on your boots and you will feel it by the days end. im not motivated by exercise but maybe just wearing leg weights to work would do it. leg muscles are big and it lakes alot of calories working them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    The exercise thing isn't hard for me...in fact, it's one of the parts of my day that I most look forward to. I work long hours, and often find myself at my desk before 6am. As an escape, every morning that I can, I leave the office at 10:45, get to the gym and dressed for exercise by 11:00, do 40 minutes of cardio (stairmaster, elipticals, etc), walk for 5 minutes to cool down, then 5 minutes in the steam room, shower and back to work.

The gym I belong to has a restaurant, so I can preorder my lunch, it's ready when I leave, then I eat at my desk. It's a routine that I really look forward to, and one that I really miss if I have a schedule conflict.

My biggest problem is portion control and the amount of fat in my diet. I just had blood work done; cholesterol is fine, just that I weigh too much.

fc
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I watched the entire second half of the Eagles-Giants game yesterday at 3.6 MPH and between a 2.0 and 4.0 incline.

It works, and unless you go too fast you eventually forget you are walking and enjoy the game.

My treadmill has a great feature built in that allows you to choose a target heart rate and it will adjust the incline and/or speed to keep you there. For those long sessions I set mine to keep my HR at 130 and it is just enough to let me know I am working out but not too much to make it miserable. My morning routines are a lot shorter, faster, and harder.
  • BigGreenTree
    Options
    What are you using for motivation to make this a lifestyle change instead of a short term goal?

Well, setting short term goals to begin with is a pretty good way to start. Gotta start with the short term before it turns into the long. :-)
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    Glad to see so many people looking to improve their overall health. I do my work outs once I wake up. 22-30 minutes on the bike, then some crunches and heel lifts. Then just go into my daily routine. I do feel better at work after my morning work out. The Bike or other equipment in front of the TV is a great option.

Good luck all!