Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Eye Steaks

Options
Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you guys use the raised grille when you do the steaks for 2 or 3 minutes per side, dwell and then finish at about 400 degrees or do you grille on the bottom grille? Thanks See-Yaa

Comments

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    Love Handles, I don't, I just use regular grill level, and that works fime for me. I also don't believe I get the Egg hot enough most of the time. I am still fine tuning, but If the steaks off the Egg get any better I don't know if I will be able to stand it! Throw em steaks on![p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods" boneless chicken breast tonight!
    [/b]
  • Love Handles
    Options
    Dock of The Woods,
    My steaks turn out great too, but it seems they are getting just a little to crispy on the outside during the first 2 or 3 minutes per side, due to the higher temps. I used my new thermapen last night, and it works great too. See-Yaa

• Love Handles,[p]I think I would try searing them for less time before I tried to raise the grid. I use the regular grill, but only sear them for about 90 seconds per side before the 20 minute rest, and that works well for me.

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Love Handles,
    I do all my steaks on a raised grill. I find when I do them on the lower grill I get too much carbonization (burnt!). I usually have the fire going at 400° - 450°. Depending on the thickness of the meat I cook about 5 minutes per side for a medium rare. I never do the dwell method and I can't stand a blackend outside on my steaks. The taste of carbon just doesn't do it for me.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ[/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Love Handles,[p]On my Medium, I use the grid at normal level, sitting on top of the fire ring. I sear at 700 - 750ish for 90 seconds a side. 2-3 minutes of searing might be a little long and this may be contributing to your high carbon content. What are you rubbing the steaks with prior to searing? [p]If I sear on the Mini, I again use temps around 750 and sear with the grid on the fire ring for 90 seconds a side, of course in the Mini the grid sits much closer to the coals. But I still have no problem with excessive carbonizing.[p]My rub consists of salt, pepper, brown mustard, and olive oil. I got less black when I started using the olive oil, plus less sticking to the grill. Also, the mustard layer is usually what crusts up, so, if I want less black, I simply flake the mustard crust off (I do this for my wife, as she prefers less crust).[p]TRex
  • Wichita Eggman
    Options
    RG,
    What do you mean by 20 minute rest after searing? What's your method?