Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made a little bread on my snow day in Jersey..

Options
chefreyguy12
chefreyguy12 Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Really easy no knead bread , i have been making for years in the oven , works to perfection on the egg!!!
3 cups bread flour (I used all-purpose with excellent results)
1 packet (1/4 ounce) instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Oil as needed

Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

Lightly oil a work surface and place dough on it; fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes more.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, ) in oven or egg ( i do it right on the pizza stone with cornmeal) as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under dough and put it into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes.

DSC04215.jpg
DSC04217.jpg

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Great pictures....

I plan to do the no knead bread I will let you know how it turns out.... Thanks for the post. By the way what do you eat to go along with the bread DUMB QUESTION or vice versa. :silly:
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    made the little guys for tomorrows breakfast , perfect for egg sandwiches! we also made some beef stew today gonna dip that bread in there tomorrow while we watch the giant game! enjoy !
  • Lionel
    Lionel Posts: 56
    Options
    is that 2 pizza stones?
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    Looks great Chef!

How much snow did you get in your part of New Jersey? In my area near Cherry Hill we had snow early on but it quickly turned to rain.
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    that is 2 stones the first couple times the bottom was a little to dark, iguess you can us the green egg feet to elevate the stone off the setter, but i had the second stone and it worked so i stuck with it.
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    i am up in vernon, by mountain creek , and we got about 7 inches, i could take it or leave it at this point.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    chef, that looks great, I have had nothing but miserable results trying to bake bread, I want to try this one. By the way, don't let bubba tim catch you doing this :lol: - I am outside of Philly & that storm went just north of us, we got a little freezing rain, enough to make this morning's walk a little sketchy, but avoided the worst of it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    i dont understand why will bubba tim be angry?
  • Zippylip
    Options
    bubba feels as though real men don't bake, however, we suspect that he is actually a closet baker, perhaps even a pastry chef hidden in a unshaven "I only smoke meat & drink beer" body, we're looking in to it :laugh: . Every now & then, bubba lets the real bubba shine through however, & he is capable of some pretty nice stuff, search 'bubbacakes' & you can view a picture of a very nice piece of his work
    happy in the hut
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    you tell bubba theres nothing better then making your own pulled pork, your own sauce, slaw, and roll ,to build you sandwich . if my wife wouldnt laugh at me, i would take the ceramics class to make my own plates!!! enjoy your Day!
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I like the way you think, must be the proximity to the same latitude we share (although I don't know where Vernon is, anywhere in Jersey is pretty close)
    happy in the hut
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Great pics! I do No Knead as well. Question. In the pic it is just sitting on the platesetter, no pot. Is that to brown or just for pic? Inquiring minds want to learn something! :woohoo:
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    its the placesetter, with 2 pizza stones on it. i have done it with 1 stone raised off the setter, with the green egg feet, but i like the crust this way the best. the cast iron pot works 2 but i like it this way with no pot, it just lets more dough be exposed to the egg not the cast iron. on 1 pizza stone by the time it way done the bottom was 2 dark for me.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    The bread looks great! Do you have both pizza stones in the egg to warm up, or do you add the bread on the pizza stone at the same time?
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    i preheat the stones with the egg