Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter and Pizza stone question

Options
dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of getting a Platesetter and a pizza stone.
I have a question on how do you clean the pizza stone?
Thx
dublin

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    dublin,
    Basically, you don't. If you get cheese or toppings on the stone, you should just let them burn up and then scrape them off. A well-used pizza stone that isn't glazed should look pretty grungy after a while from all the stuff that has been spilled on it. I have a pizza stone in my oven 24/7 and I have never cleaned it other than scraping off any baked-on stuff.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    dublin, I'm a little different from TNW in that I put my stone back in the box after I use it. I just wipe it off with a damp cloth. It looks pretty grungy from the smoke but it's actually quite clean. Rub your hand across it and nothing comes off and you feel no grease.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wise One,[p]can you use the plate setter in lieu of the pizza stone, or is it advisable to have both??

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I think it is best to have both in order to help prevent the stone from getting too hot. Also, the usable area on the plate setter is a lot smaller than on a 16" pizza stone. I always make 14" pizzas, so I need the bigger stone.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]i have read where you can put the plate setter in upside down with the rack then set higher on the plate setter feet. . that this is good for lo and slo where you then put the drip pan on the plate setter and the meat on the rack. . .is this adviseable??. . .i have read enough in the forum not to trust the bge guide. . .
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Yes, I put the P.S. in upside down (legs up) for indirect cooks. I put the drip pan on the P.S. and then a grill on the P.S. legs. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    thanks dude. :-). . ..i am cataloging all of these tips in the back of my feeble mind. . .i am already learning quick. .i've got a big pot of baked beans on my egg right now, and based on the good temp maintenance info i got here on the forum the other day, i have a full load in the firebox, my bottom vent way closed down, and have been holding steady at 300 degrees for the last two hours with minimal adjustment on the daisy wheel. . .[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribset1.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,[p]The plate setter is a versatile tool and well worth having. This is an old (4 yrs or more) picture but you will get the idea. The newest setter sits right on the firering, but this was an early prototype that didn't.[p]Tim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Tim M,[p]thanks to you and the whiz :-). . ..i appreciate all the advice. ..and there is nothing like a visual to really show you the way. ..[p]best[p]max
  • Do you guys put any oil on the stone before you use it. [p]I have both I was just wondering. [p]Scotty J
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Scotty J,
    No. I've never heard of anyone oiling a stone before using it to cook bread of any sort. Have you heard of anyone doing this?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • dublin, if my stone has crud baked on it, I scrape it off with a sharp knife or razor blade scraper. Then I go over the stone, lightly, with a piece of fine sand paper to remove any residual crud. The sand paper does a good clean-up job.

• The Naked Whiz,[p]My local pizza guys uses olive oil more for the crust of the pizza.[p]But that is on a stone in a wood burning oven.[p]So that's why am askng. [p]Scotty J