Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to clean the grid, or not???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just out of curiosity, who amongst us cleath their grid (or grill where the food sits) reguarly, if ever? I've kinda been of the school of thought that believes crud=character, but I've never had a coated grid before, and I'm thinking maybe I should clean this one occasionally.[p]Any thoughts?[p]David

Comments

• I meant "cleaneth", not "cleath" or whatever I typed.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    David Saliba,
    I brush on both sides if crusty, but have never thoroughly cleaned it. Hign temps once in a while helps keep it clean also. I have never had food stick. Sometimes I will spray high temp pam on t, but even without pam, the food should not stick if the grill is hot, and you give the food enough time to sear and release itself.[p]My 2 cents anyway![p]Happy smokin.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    David Saliba,[p]Had my egg for about 6 months, use it 3-4 times a week, never cleaned the grill once. High temp cooks take care of the bigger crusties for me.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    David Saliba,

Thou cleaneth to thine own self's satisfaction. :-)[p]Some do extensively.. I rub mine down to remove the more obvious left over stuff that has charred after the cook. A coating of peanut oil helps to avoid sticking. I never worry about bugs tramping around on that hot iron..
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    David Saliba,
    As in one of my earlier posts, I clean mine every time. But then again, I don't take the temp up very high that often, maybe 550F max. It's just a fetish of mine.
    JimW

• Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    David Saliba,
    If you want to clean it, I finally found something that will just melt the grease and smoke residue off like nothing I've ever seen. It was recommended to me by a chef. It is totally biodegradable and is authorized by USDA for use in meat and poultry plants. If you would like any more info, just e-mail me and I'll give you the name of the product.
    P.S. I don't sell it, it's just a great product that works great in this application.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    David Saliba,[p]I scrape off the hard old bbq sauce with a brass brush. I do a pizza now and again and that cleans up the grid really well. My grid has never seen soap & water.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]""Sometimes I will spray high temp pam on it, but even without pam, the food should not stick ""[p]
    You may have thaght me something new -- Pam has a high temp version. I didn't know that.[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    Yeah, I forget the exact name, but it is especially made for grilling. Withstands the higher temps without burning.[p]Seen it at BBQs Galore, but not at the grocery stores.[p]Still bad news if you spray on direct flame (or good news if you like fire)[p]Smokin tomorrow??
    Later

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Just once the grid got so disgusting that I thought I'd do something about it. Put it on the grass and sprayed it with oven cleaner and then flipped it over. Let it sit about 15 minutes and then hosed it off real well. Looked like new. I let it heat up real well at about 700 or so before I threw food on it, though, just to get rid of any possible aftertaste.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Tim M,
    dont let it suprise you....chris knows just about everything.,....everything from finding away to store smoked meat along with survival gear in the stix from a high temp spray, and finding a way to Egg dialy with a job while supporting a wife and two little girls. This guy amazes me.
    Heeee! nature buy(chris) rox! heeee!
    ST

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Nature Boy,
    If you’re interested in not having a flair up, they make a container, that you pump with the cap, to spray oil for salads and such. Since it does not have the stuff aerosol cans have there is virtually no flair up. I Have one for salads filled with olive oil and one with vegetable oil for the grill. Most kitchen shops have them.[p]MAC

• Nature Boy
    MollyShark,
    Interesting technique. How is your grass now???[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    MAC,
    I have one of those oil misters I use to mist meat with oil. Probably would work as well as the high-temp pam. I am using the pam less and less, and probably will not use it much at all in the future. Stuff doesn't stick at all even without lubrication. Hot grate. Sear meat until it releases itself. [p]Those oil misters are great though. Cooks Illustrated likes other brands much better than the Misto. I agree, as the Misto seems to shoot a stream out as opposed to a spray if not at the right pressure.[p]Thanks for the tip.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Nature Boy, ya cud always blame it on da UFO's !!!

• Nature Boy
    Smokin' Todd,
    I am all kinds of preeeeeciatin' your fine words. Purty soon my hat aint gonna fit no more!![p]But most of my knowledge comes from these kind folk who grace us with their presence here on this killer forum. Alls I'm doin is havin' fun. Learnin and burnin.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    David Saliba,[p]I'm really strange here. I come from the school of never clean it just like cast iron. But, having said that if I Q something that I just didn't like the way it tasted(yeah it happens believe me)I'll usually brush off the big chunks top and bottom with a brass brush. Otherwise never do. My wife says I never cook anything the same way twice. Hey sometimes it works and the rest of the time I have a week of precooked lunches. :^*[p]
    If you got em smoke em,[p]Elder Ward

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    David:[p]That grill cleaner by Thermos (two prongs with circular spun wire attached to a handle) is great for knocking all the junk off the grill and cleaning the surface. BGE has it in their accessory page, I have seen it in hardware stores as well.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Nature Boy,
    I know exactly what u mean. If I have a nickel for every piece of great advice from these people, i would have enough to buy out BGE...and hav em' alllllll to myself :)

• sprinter
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Yeah, and don't let NB's talent fool you though. He didn't tell you that the first time he used that high temp pam he sprayed it on the grill while it was at about 800 degrees and burned his eyebrows off. hehehe[p]Just kiddin NB, happy Friday AM to ya'.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]What Grass?[p]Troy
  • mollyshark
    Grass? I think the tornado blew most of it away! Whilst removing my rose bushes and all my landscape timbers, it did bring me the present of a blanket (from somewhere) and a 3 gallon drum of pine oil disinfectant.[p]Ahhh...nature at it's most interesting. Think I'll do some pork chops as revenge.
  • Char-Woody
    MollyShark, your kidding I hope..you in a tornado???
    Worried now...C~W[p]

• mollyshark
    Char-Woody,
    Actually not kidding. I'm in..umm...Ft Worth. One of the major areas of devastation is about 4 blocks from me. It was an interesting night. Came out pretty much unharmed..just a little rearranging of the backyard. Lost my landscape timbers, the rose bushes (all just...gone). Gained a blanket (anyone lose a deep red blankie?) and one weird thing. A 3 gallon drum of pine oil disinfectant was nicely deposited on my back deck. Handy to have, I guess. Maybe I hint that I should clean the grid a little better?[p]Happy to say both eggs came through intact (can you imagine one of those smashing through your window?). But lots of the city is just a mess.

• Char-Woody
    MollyShark, wow, I saw the videos of those monsters ripping thru Fort Worth, and that is scary. Good to hear your safe and sound.
    Cheers..C~W[p]