Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filets tonight.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
filetswaiting.jpg
<p />Grill is at about 500, will wait to 700, and I am ready to throw on these filets. Cowlick rub, extra virgin olive for my usuall 1 hour room temp before cooking.[p]CWM

Comments

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, Man they look good! Makes me hungry, thats what we had Saturday night. I buy a whole loin from my butcher, then he cuts them for me. I marinated the ones I did Saturday and then forgot to put the seasoning on before I Egged them, must have been the beer! Enjoy![p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods" Drueling! You know what I mean.
    [/b]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Dock of The Woods, Speaking of the whole loin. A friend of mine and myself have been working on a great recipe for the whole beef tenderloin. Basically, we cook the loin to rare, cut a pocket in the middle and fill the pocket up with a whiskey, butter, garlic mixture. Cut portabella mushrooms in 1/4 inch strips and lay on top of the open pocket. Cook to medium rare, let sit for 10 minutes, while the grilled shrimp is cooking then serve.
    Everything is great.
    CWM

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, You have done it now! Boy you flung a craving on me! When you refine that recipe put me on the list, I want a copy. Problem is you can't experiment to often with $60 whole beef tenderloins. Like I said put me on that list! Sounds really good![p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods" with a big craving!

• Car Wash Mike, did you do 2 minutes on each side @ 700, followed by 20 minutes rest, followed by 4 minutes of dwelling on each side @ 400? Or did you use a different technique? Thx.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    It was closer to 2 1/2 - 3 miuntes on each side (when you are cooking at high of a temp, time seems to slip by) and dwell for about 5-7 minutes. The temp got to over 700. I move my steak to side of the grill when dwelling and leave my wifes over the hot lump. The reason for the diffence is my wife likes hers done and I like mine medium rare.
    Thickness is an issue, these were about 1 1/4 inch.
    CWM

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Dock of The Woods,
    That is expensive. We are carefull when we eggsperiment. We did buy 6 whole beef tenderloins at $3.99 lb. I don't want to waste money but that was cheap. Average weight of loins was 6lbs.[p]CWM

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks! Just what I needed to read/see tonight!!! What I thought was just a gold crown falling off at lunch turned out to be...never mind - I paid that oral surgeon enough today to buy a medium BGE!!!
    Oh, "wonderful liquid soup" for a few days! 8^(

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Wow! That IS cheap! Last beef tenderloin I got was $9.99/lb, so was closer to the price Dock of the Woods mentioned. I too would be interested in your recipe.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Can someone explain the term 'dwelling' to me?[p]Thanks!