Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Vension

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please help with a recipe for a Leg of Vension to use on TBGE!

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Will,[p]Coat with kosher salt black pepper and Garlic powder. Then wrap in strips of bacon and either tie with string or pin with tooth picks. Place probe in thickest part of meat cook at 350 degrees until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Pull immediately and let sit for thirty minutes. carve and serve and eat right then.[p]Elder Ward

• Elder Ward,
    IS THAT DIRECT OR INDIRECT @350 DEG.

• Elder Ward,
    Don't you need to marinate it in something to get rid of the wild taste??

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Will,
    We have used this recipe for years and the venison has always turned out good.The cooking time in incorrect so go by your polder.

[ul][li]Venison Ham Recipe[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Will:[p]If the deer was properly dressed and refrigerated in a timely manner there should be no "wild" taste. If it was drug all over the county for show and tell that is another question.
    [/b]
  • Elder Ward
    BIG BOY,[p]Well it would be easier if it were indirect but if you could hang in from a chain through the top vent and eliminate the grill then direct would be my first choice, but both would work. [p]Elder Ward
  • Elder Ward
    Will,[p]Listen to djm5X9. Gamey meat is due to improper handling and cleaning. If you are sure it is gamey then soak in cold water, sage, bay leaves, 1/4 cup kosher salt, Black pepper and a few juniper berries. Make sure water cover meat completely and float a light layer of olive oil to cover surface keep in frig for 24 hours. Then follow directions. [p]Elder Ward
  • YB,
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. Sounds good......

• djm5x9,
    Thanks, for the info!

• Elder Ward,
    Thanks, I'll take you advice and marinate it just to make sure there is no gamey taste. I was hoping to cook it like a pork shoulder or something of that nature. I prefer it being well done instead of medium.

• Elder Ward
    Will,
    If you cook it well done it will be tough. There is not enough fat marble in venison to do it like pulled pork or brisket. That style of cooking is only possible because of all the fat laced in and around the meat. If you really want to cook it well done and still have it taste good to great then Crock Pot it. Or cook in as a stew in a cast iron pot in the oven or egg like a crock pot. [p]Having said all that trust me this one time and even if you are not fond of beef cooked rare. Venison is not beef and I dought you will be disappointed. [p]Elder Ward

• Elder Ward,
    Good point Elder! Since my family is not too fun of wild game I think I'll just put in the old crock with one can of beer, 3 cloves of garlic, bay leaf, onion, salt & pepper and 2 cups of barbeque sauce and let it cook off the bone.
    Thanks alot! I really learned a lot a venison and different ways to cook it. You guys are truly eggperts!!