Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, It's finally here, and I can't wait. I pick up my new large BGE tomorrow. I'm just looking for a few suggestions on the best brands of lump charcoal to buy. Also, a few suggestions on which accessories are a must to buy at first. Is it cheaper to build the table, or purchase it? Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm ecstatic to finally be in the "club".[p]T.L.

Comments

• Tim Lyons, I use BGE lump and Maple Leaf lump, although they are getting hard to get. I built my own table from treated lumber for around $30-40. It is a simple build if have a couple of power tools, i.e. skil saw, jig saw , and electric screwdriver. I will let others comment on what accessories to get. I have most all of them, as you will eventually.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Tim Lyons,[p]The Naked Whiz has done an excellent job of creating a lump charcoal database, which contains descriptions, ratings, and pictures of several different brands of lump. You can find this database on his website at the link below. My lump brands of choice have been BGE lump and Hasty Bake.[p]As far as accessories go, I would buy a Polder-style temp probe unit for watching the internal temp on long cooks, an instant read thermometer (Thermapen is the best (2-3 second response time), but it IS an investment (about $80 bucks)) for quick hot cooks like steak and fish, a platesetter or firebricks for building an indirect cooking setup, a daisy wheel (if you don't have one already with the new Egg), some basic grill tools (spatula, tongs, and wire brush for cleaning), a small handheld fan (this comes in VERY handy when getting the lump going--I use a small battery-operated one every time I start the Egg), and get a BGE pizza stone (they tend to be the best quality) if you want to start making pizza right away. . . . hmmm, I'm probably forgetting something else essential, but others will chime in.[p]Down the road, you might also want to purchase a MAPP gas torch for quick and easy starting of your lump. This was my latest purchase and it has come in very handy--truly, the easiest way to get your lump going.[p]I don't have a table (I use the Eggnest), but I am sure that you can probably build a better table for less money than you could purchase one, plus several people in this forum have built tables and I am sure they would be more than happy to share their plans with you.[p]Welcome to the forum and to the world of Egging. You're gonna love it![p]TRex
    [ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Lump Database[/ul]
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Tim Lyons,
    I use the Royal Oak and BGE lump, TNW's website is a great place to learn about lump. I built my table and think that if you are handy with tools you would get more satisfaction by building your own table as well. The 2 accessories I use the most are a polder type thermometer and a pair of good 16" kitchen tongs.

• Tim Lyons,[p]I am pretty new to the egg also. I agree that a platesetter is invaluable. It has been a real security blanket for me and helps me control longer cooks like ribs, chicken etc. Also, don't forget you will need a second grill plate for the platesetter. Weber makes one with handles (18 1/2 in) which is inexpensive and readily available. I think a cover is well worth the money depending on your climate, (I'm in Denver, need I say more.) It's also worth getting a drip pan, I use disposable aluminum foil pans. I also got a flat round pan which I place on top of the platesetter and under the drip pan. It keeps crud off the platesetter. I haven't purchased a thermapen yet but am looking into it and agree it's worth the money for short cooks. A Polder and a daisy wheel are a necessity. Good luck. Hope this helps.[p]Bill Smith

• Tim Lyons,
    My first purchase was a polder thermometer. It really helps on the low and slow cooks. My large egg came with a table, and we modified it to make the top bigger and put tile on the top surfaces. Having the table has been what I think is the best thing. Just got a MAPP gas torch, and its really nice for lighting the lump also. Seems to be the cleanest way of getting it going, and also just as fast as any other way. When the wife gets in today, I'll have her post a picture of our table on the forum. I'm not experienced at that just yet. I read this forum every day, and I don't think you could find a nicer bunch of people anywhere. I know you'll enjoy it too. Oh yea, you need to buy some Dizzy Dust rubs from Nature Boy. Its the best, you won't believe how fresh tasting it is. See-Yaa

• Tim Lyons,[p]Mine is fairly new, and I would change a few things if I was doing it over again. I bought the nest and mates...shoulda just waited and built myself a table (even better, should have built the table first). Mine came with the spring assist band and the daisy wheel, must-haves if yours does not. I bought a cover, but shouldn't have...I am too afraid to use it because of a chewing dog anyway, plus when I do build the table it will be useless. I didn't buy a platesetter because I have access to fire bricks but that would be a must otherwise. I haven't bought the BGE pizza stone yet, but am going to soon. I also need a polder thermometer. The drip pans are an obvious rip-off...someone else mentioned the disposables, plus I'm sure you have some cake pans around. I don't have a V-rack but would like one.[p]Anyway, here's what I would get:[p]spring assist band
    daisy wheel
    platesetter
    pizza stone
    polder thermo
    V-rack
    good tongs[p]I bought a bag of lump from the dealer and have only used about half of it. I have no complaints about the BGE brand, but have never used anything else to compare it with.

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Tim Lyons,[p]An ash tool is a must along with all the things I've seen posted thus far. I've owned my egg for approximately 5 yrs and the plate setter, extension grill, polder, and drip pan, are the things I use most. I have other accessories but these are the ones I would immediately replace if something happened.[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Tim Lyons,
    You've got plenty of good sound advice below on accessories and tables - all that's left for me to say is Welcome.
    And be sure to visit Naked Whiz's web site - a good all around site, lump database is world-class, and there's even Bill Wise's BGE Cookbook (don't waste your time with the book bundled with the Egg).
    Ken

• Tim Lyons,I have just a couple of things to add to what the rest of the crew said. First thing is a tuff pair of long cuff gloves, a thousand uses. And I made an ash tool out of a old piece of copper tubbing 1/2 or 3/4 inch, just flatten out about 2 to 3 inches on one end and then bend a 90 degree angle in that, it makes a good ash tool and lump stirrer. Also my last two purchases I have made have been mentioned a Therma-pen, and MAPP gas both very worth the money. You will need those gloves with that MAPP gas, for the sparks that fly off the lump when you lite it. One last thing you will never regret buying your BGE, I have had mine a little over a year and I love it![p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods"

• eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    Tim Lyons,
    Welcome, I'm fairly new here as well,although I've had my egg for 3 years.[p]Something no one else has mentioned,a charcoal chimney, I use every time I light my egg.
    I put it on an old single burner propane camping stove and get that lump going right now![p]I cook on it every chance I get,it makes everything taste better.
    Cheers, Brian