Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

happy new bge owner

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got my brand new large bge this past weekend. . .i was so inspired by char buddy, nature boy, woo doggy and other eggheads at last summer's new holland festival, that i new then and there it was to be my destiny to join this mystical brotherhood of 'que'rs. . .got it fired up yesterday afternoon. .. didn't have time to initiate a slow smoke, but i roasted 3 chickens (split in half)for about 21/2 hours at 300 degrees. ..pulled them off, threw a couple of handfuls of lump on and opened the dampers wide. . 10 minutes later when it was over 500 degrees, i threw on two marinated flank steaks. . .i think my only mistake was following the book and closing all dampers after a couple of minutes of searing. . . because of the marinade, while the steaks were delicious, perfectly done inside, they were a little mushy. . .i think next time, i'll just leave the dampers open and pull them a little quicker. . . [p]it is an honor and privalige to join this distinguished group!!!![p]

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Check out this method on cooking steaks. A chef friend of mine taught me a crucial step which I incorporated into my overall method. I think you'll be pleased with the end results.[p]Welcome to the forum![p]TRex
    [ul][li]One Really Verbose Narrative on How to Cook Steaks[/ul]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]good morning my brother.[p]Let me introduce you to the forum proper-like. [p]Max and I are on the same BBQ cooking team. I think our name is Free Range or the Free Rangers or something like that. Last year we were competition metalheads, but this year I think we're bring both metal and ceramic equipment. We did pretty good in ribs (6th place), but we mostly show up for the sheer fun of it.[p]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Welcome to the fold, Max.[p]Jim
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    char buddy,[p]sheer fun or sear fun!!??[p]
  • char buddy
    Options
    Toe 49,[p]good one....
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Welcome aboard. You have just purchased many years of cooking enjoyment. Great bunch of guys and gals. Check out Tim M and GFW's sites. Throw the video and cooking book away and check in with the eggsperts.
    Make sure the get the correct eggcories, babyback ribs, some thick steaks, maybe a little beef roast for beef jerky, Dizzy Pig rubs, and to top it off a cold one while cooking.
    Don't forget to do the Beer Butt chicken thing also.
    CWM
    [/b]
  • char buddy,[p]This is your captain speaking, char buddy. The name is Free Range Barbecue. Land sakes, man, got to remember your own team's nom de bbq![p]Brett[p]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Any friend of C Biddy is a friend of mine. Welcome to the world of ceramics![p]Cornfed
  • char buddy
    Options
    Your team captain,[p]Guilty as charged and I blame the wild parties and other things we do after contests. Keith Richards once told me this would happen. [p]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Howdy Max and welcome to the forum.[p]There are a lot of great folks on this board and your teamate char biddie is one of 'em. :~)
    If ever you have any questions on how best to utilize your new cooker.... this is the place to ask.[p]I hope we will be seeing you again this year in New Holland.[p]Nice that you broke the egg in proper-like with a large mess o meat.[p]Again, Welcome!
    John[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    yep, had it loaded pretty good. .already planning to get a grill extender (or seeing if my webber grill will fit ok) to double up. . .my faithful team captain and his family got to share in the inaugural bge effort. . . they thought the chicken had good smoke flavor and moistness, particularly in light of the fact that i was roasting (2 1/2 hours) vs. a longer lo and slo, and i was only using bge lump (no added lumber). . . [p]you should also be proud of the fact that it was partly your enthusiasm (even if alcohol induced) that led me down this path to join the brotherhood of eggers. . ..thank you

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I remember that conversation. It was late, I was nursing a beer, there was bbq in the air and my team captain, the dictatorial NB, was scowling at me from across the way because I was sitting in a competitors camp yucking it up when I should have been doing my job and looking after the cookers. :~) heeee![p]And you're right, this forum is like a fraternal order of bbq'rs.
    We're goofy, creative, tenacious, industrious, fiercely loyal, at times infuriating, unafraid to cook anything under the sun (refer to the smoked honeycomb post).... and most of all, downright fun individuals who never hesitate to share their knowledge or love for cooking, imbibing and eating.
    Hhhhhmmmmmmmm...... kinda sounds like my family![p]Glad you are aboard and Beers, Dude!
    John[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    howdy Brett. I remember you well. Welcome to eggdom. Hopefully we cook near each other again in the land of the Amish this August. Bring an umbrella or a tarp this time![p]Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ