Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT problem

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just did my first batch of ABT`s..I cooked direct at 325°- 350° for about 35-40 miutes, looking for the bacon to get done on the top. I don`t believe I had any flare ups during the cook, and I rotated the grill topper several times..Problem is I burned the hell outta the bottoms of them, I had to cut the bottoms off to be able to eat them. Whats the trick???? I only cooked 8 of them as this was the first attempt, no grid extender ( could be the problem right there ) used a grill topper pan type thing with holes in it placed directly on the main grid..temp stabilized at 325° and just peeked for doneness of the bacon...help me get over this as these things taste awesome when done right...maybe 300° for longer time??
THANKS[p]Wess

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    WessB,
    I would say it was not being on a raised grid that did ya in. We always do ours raised and on a fish/veggie grid...the only times we have had burnt ones, was when the flames licked the bottoms. Hope this helps. By the way, just for curiosity...what kind of meat did you use for the insides?[p]~nikki

[ul][li]ABT's[/ul]
  • WessB
    Options
    nikkig,
    I used pulled pork, and after cutting off the burnt parts they tasted great..and the pan I used is VERY similar to the one you have pictured in your posts about this. I plan on picking up an extender at eggfest this year anyway (look forward to seeing you and Boccie there again ), just hate to have to wait that long to try em again..[p]Wess

• Dock of The Woods
    Options
    WessB, I use a place setter when I do mine, making it an indirect cook. I have still experienced some burning on the bottom, but not to bad. Also for your bacon, I have had a little problem getting my bacon to get crispy. One idea is when I have done bacon wrapped scollops I have boiled the bacon for a short time, I think about 3 min. I think this helps the bacon start to get done.I saw this idea in Southern Living. I have also been trying one of those pans with a bunch of wholes in it, you can get them at Home Depot or any place that sells grilling stuff, they usually have a picture of grilled shrimp or something like that on the cover, I have only done ABT's a few times and am still fine tuning myself. [p]Hugh, "Sitting on The Dock of The Woods" at work!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    WessB,[p]I bet you have a couple firebricks. Maybe try using two or three on their sides as something to raise the grill topper higher from the fire. Just an idea. Or use the firebricks to support a second grid and set the topper on that. Good luck with it.[p]Tim
  • WessB
    Options
    Tim M,
    Kinda dont believe I didnt think of that as yes I do have all of the above...Thanks[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    Dock of The Woods,
    Thanks..I will consider all your tips...wouldnt want all that bacon grease soaking into my platesetter tho...it will just be one of those learning experiences, Thanks for the response..[p]Wess

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    336%3B775523232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232335%3A85%3B666ot1lsi
    <p />WessB,
    This is a batch from a few weeks ago. They were good yea. I did them on the lower grill without a problem. I just shut the lower vent to keep the direct heat down a bit. Yesterday I tried some in my holy wok and they started to burn on the bottom before the top even started cooking good. So I took them out and finished up direct. Perfect. We should Knight the person who invented these things. Or do we have a Knighting program here at the Forum?[p]Anyway, good luck on your next batch.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WessB
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Not using the pan would tend to make sense as to avoiding burning as long as I could insure no flare up, may try that method next...Amen on the person who invented them..[p]Wess

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    WessB, I like putting mine directly on the grill over a drip pan. I like to let the heat get all around them but watch that grease (even in a drip pan) cause it will burn. My config is a grill, a,couple of firebricks laying flat, a drip pan and a second grill laying on top of the drip pan.

• WessB,
    Wess, it make sure I use thin sliced bacon.. It gets crispy and I cook mine at much lower temps, more like 250- 275.. Indirect..[p]I usually fill mine with Little weenies, but I tried them using nuts.. I used Macedamian and almonds and cashews, just pushed them into the cream cheese and those were really good..[p]
    Dylan