Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regarding First Overnight Cook

Options
PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok so here's the issue, I already have the two 9.5lbs pork butts inyected and marinating in the fridge... the party was moved to tomorrow so I will be puting them in tonight.

I will do as follows unless someone corrects me. Dome temp 250°F, indirect setup, with the charcoal arranged as Elder Ward suggests in WiseOne's compilation of recipes from this forum. Will put it in at 8pm expecting to take it out around 2pm for service around 4pm... from 2 to 4 the ABT's and quesadillas will be cooked.

The issue as I mentioned before is that due to my location I was not able to get either the Stoker or the DigiQ II, so...
Should I trust the egg on its own overnight or do I have to arrange a pre-party tonight with the excuse of having to stay up all night to check the temp?

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Put your plate setter, grid, drip pan, etc in after lighting. Then get the temp stable at 250 and keep it there for an hour, then add the meat and walk away. Your dome temp will drop considerably with the 19 lbs of cold meat but since it was stable at 250 before it will come back. You don't want to make any adjustments right away or you will be chasing temps all night. Good luck. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If you could even pick up a Maverick ET-73 that would be good as it has alarms for low pit temp and high food temp.

The egg is well capable of holding 250° overnight. You must make sure the egg is stable and the temp is holding 250° (egg stable) before putting in the food.

I would suggest loading the lump up to the top of the fire ring or close to the top of the fire ring.

Without any remote monitoring if it were me, I would set an alarm to wake me up every 3 hours or so.

I have done overnight cooks on the egg without monitoring many times. One important cook the fire went out on me. It was a center vertical burn.

GG
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    What GG said. I'd be up, as I always do, two, three times during the night to be sure the temp is stable.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I have to agree with GG on this one. The egg is great for keeping the 250 temp as long as the lump is close to the top of the firering and you are in a fairly warm climate. (I know, I know, once the egg is heated you don't have to worry about outside temps.)

But, if this one is important to you I would check it a few times in the night just to be sure.

Good luck with the cook. Nothing better

Rick in Mt
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    My thoughts Eggxactly! Anything to monitor temps and alarm you if things get too far out of whack could help prevent a meltdown in the morning - not to mention a post asking if the pork is still safe! Good luck!!

Grandpas Grub wrote:
    If you could even pick up a Maverick ET-73 that would be good as it has alarms for low pit temp and high food temp.

The egg is well capable of holding 250° overnight. You must make sure the egg is stable and the temp is holding 250° (egg stable) before putting in the food.

I would suggest loading the lump up to the top of the fire ring or close to the top of the fire ring.

Without any remote monitoring if it were me, I would set an alarm to wake me up every 3 hours or so.

I have done overnight cooks on the egg without monitoring many times. One important cook the fire went out on me. It was a center vertical burn.

GG
  • PWise
    Options
    ok, so, just to sum it all up:

1. Fill the XL Egg up to near the top of the firering
    2. Light it on top for a slow burning fire at 7pm
    3. Place platesetter, drip pan, grill and close the lid
    4. Stabilize temp for 1 hour at 250°F. Have a beer and tequila in the meantime.
    5. Place meat in grill at 8pm and DO NOT mess with the vents at this point. Walk away and have some more beer and tequila.
    6. Come back in 1 hour (9pm) to check if temp has come up again to 250°F
    7. Leave it as is, drink one more tequila and have son dinner.
    8. Check temp again just before bed (11pm) set alarm for 3 hour's time, drink one last tequila and go to sleep (no need for the overnight pre-party? damn....)
    8. Wake up at 2am to check temp and make propper adjustments if needed (anyone care give me their cell in case I have some trouble at this point? :P )
    9. Go back to bed and wake up as normal day at 5am.
    10. Check temp, have breakfast (no tequila here), check temp again and go to work.
    11. Ask wife to check temp again at 9am as she goes to work.
    12. Come back early from work at 1pm and monitor from then onwards with tequila and beer in hand waiting for guests.
    13. 195°F internal (expected around 2pm) take out, wrap in foil, towel and throw in cooler 1 hour. in the meantime put all the ABTs in Egg.
    14. Welcome first guests at around 3pm just as I begin pulling and place meat in chafing dish to maintain temp.
    15. 15 minutes before taking out the ABTs, place all quesadillas in and heat up some tortillas.
    16. 4pm start eating until no more can be eaten. for the moment...
    17. 2am reheat meat and eat again.
    18. 5am go to bed.

I know it will turn out completely different but hey, I have to hope for something :laugh:
  • AZRP
    Options
    I think you've got it except for bringing the temp up for the ABTs, unless you do them at 250. -RP
  • PWise
    Options
    yep 250 for 2 hours.... bacon comes out crispy as if it were dehydrated and cream cheese has no chance of melting, it gets plesurably smoked, and texture is great...

how do you make them?
  • AZRP
    Options
    I go indirect at 350, either way should be fine. -RP
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I see one major flaw in your list................

No more mention of the tequila and beer after line #12 !
    :woohoo:

Sounds like we all need to show up around 4 !

Good luck,

Clark
    Madison, MS
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Whenever I trust the egg to run all night by itself, tragedy happens. When I check on it every 3 or 4 hours it runs like a clock without issue. I don't blame the egg as much as believe in Murphy's Law. I don't mind getting up to check on it when I know the delivery of succulent pork is critical the following day.

Actually have only had one time when it went out during the night but the heartbreak lingers so I check on it.
  • PWise
    Options
    :ohmy: you are absolutely right... I guess after that I will just refill my glass as soon as I finish it :laugh:

And yeah, I guess 4pm should be allright hehehe :P
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Step #10 should include a Bloody Mary or three.
  • PWise
    Options
    :whistle: I beg to differ, I have mixed tequila and vodka before and it has NEVER ended up well :blink: :sick: :silly: :pinch: hehe

I guees if I'm going to be up and drinking all day might just stay put on frozen-tequila-by-the-shot and near-frozen-cold-beer hehe...
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Good luck Matador....you seem to have everything in order for a perfect cook...did you get the butts with Jacinto Mendoza in the end??
  • PWise
    Options
    Yep, MXN$43.50 the Kilo, I guess that would be US$1.47 for the pound... both butts (18.75 Lbs)set me back MXN$370.00 which is about US$27.50. I have no idea if this is good or bad, anyone who has bought this in the US before care to input?
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Pato,
    Have a wonderful overnight cook and a great meal the following day. And we need pictures!
    Ross
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    I would not pull in #14...pull in #16 when all guests have arrived...eliminate the need to keep warm and get more ooohs and aaaahs.
    canuckland
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Options
    I've done two overnighters.

First one, I went to sleep around 12 and had my alarm set to go off at 3 to do a check. Alarm didn't go off. Woke up at 7, ran downstairs, expecting the worst. Inigio Montoya (my Egg), was just sitting there at 250 and I knew I was in love.

Second cook, again asleep around 12, woke up at 4, this time and really did wake up...but the temp had dropped to 140 :ohmy:

What's the point? There is not just set it and go away unless you have a Guru or something. Otherwise, you're going to have to get up. Whether it will be every 2, 3, or 4 hours, will be determined by your level of paranoia.

Good luck!