Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cabbage soup

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,741
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
i remember this from when i was a kid, we always had a little lean hamburger in it. might be good with some smoked burger or chicken added, makes enough for a few days and you can add to it to keep it going. might have too much salt for some, but very low calorie wise and lots of vitamins.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/print?id=105365
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Will it keep for 20 days? Thank you! 8 - ),,,
  • Fluffy
    Fluffy Posts: 19
    Options
    I remember this from the old "Dolly Parton Diet" that was popular in the "70's. One day you ate nothing but fruit, one day all vegetables, etc. The soup was a "free" item. You could lose 10 lbs in one week, if you could suffer through it--but you gained it all back as soon as you went back on a normal diet. I make up a version of the soup now that has only vegetables in it and eat it for lunch. It is very filling and you can suit the vegetables to your own taste. I think I got it from a Weight Watchers forum some time back.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it actually makes you lighter just because of all the gas you carry around, too.

we had this all the time as a kid. my dad had some diet where you ate cabbage soup for a week or something.
    pppfffffrrrrrRRRRT
    :sick:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    I've had it before. Pretty good taste.
    The aftermath can be offensive to some, :huh: those without a sense of humor :woohoo:
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I just made a vegetable beef soup with leftover sirloin roast. What helps to make it GREAT is the can of Frank's sauerkraut- juice and all in this soup. Great flavor and healthy cause the meat is lean to start and fat in the soup can be removed after refrigeration. A little fresh garlic and a frozen bag of home grown tomatoes went into the pot along with water, about a pound of chopped sirloin, then carrot, onion, celery and three bay leaves. I seasoned with salt, pepper and California sweet paprika and dehydrated parsley flakes then simmered all afternoon. Winter survival food that's good for ya.
  • Poodlemom
    Options
    This recipe is tasty. High sodium content may be too much for some, you would have to adjust it according to your needs.

Cabbage Beef Soup

1lb. lean ground beef ½ med. head of cabbage chopped
    ½ tsp. garlic salt 1 28oz. can of chopped tomatoes with liquid
    ¼ tsp. garlic powder ¼ tsp. pepper
    1 can of water (tomato can) 2 celery ribs chopped
    4 beef bouillon cubes 1 15-16oz. kidney beans, undrained

In a dutch oven, brown beef. Add all remaining ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, cover, for one hour period.

* We add a can of tomato sauce plus one can of water. to our soup.*