Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Results - blah!

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I smoked the turkey breast that was brining in way too much Tender Quick. I tried to salvage it by dumping out half of the brine and adding sugar and fresh water. Didn't help. It tasted like it was fished out of the Dead Sea! Some of the slices closer to the bone were less salty, and edible, so I saved them. But I threw most of it away, and gave some to my dog. [p]Next time I'll use much less TQ! I did buy some pork loin yesterday, and I have that curing in TQ and brown sugar (but just three tablespoons of TQ). Next week I'll make Canadian bacon.[p]For those of you who use Tender Quick for jerky, what's in your cure, and how long do you cure it for?

Comments

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Also did a turkey breast today. Marinated four hours in fresh apple cider in fridge. Patted dry, covered in virgin olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Cooked indirect over drip pan with fresh apple cider. Used two fist fulls of moist pecan chips. Used V-rack with breast side up. Dome temp at 325-350. Removed when polder read 165 internal. Perfect. Tasty, very moist with outside a golden brown. One of my favorites off Mr. Humpty.[p]Caney

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]For my jerky, I add 1 Tablespoon of TQ for every pound of meat. Below is the link to my jerky page so you can see the other ingredients.[p]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ktaylor11/kevi.htm[p]Now, I still don't understand why you are using TQ on a pork loin. Why cure it? What you want to do is brine it, and plain old salt is what you want for that. PLUS, salt is much cheaper than using TQ.[p]Here is a very basic, high-heat brine I use for my pork loins...no brining is needed on pork tenderloins...[p]To 1 Quart of water add either one of the following....1/4 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt OR 3 Tablespoons of Morton Kosher salt OR 2 Tablespoons of table salt. PLUS, 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Let soak for around 4-5 hours.[p]If you wish to slow smoke the loins, here is a standard brine recipe....[p]To 1 Quart of water add either one of the following.....1/2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher salt OR 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Morton Kosher salt OR 1/4 cup table salt. PLUS, 1/2 cup sugar. Again, soak the loin for about 4-5 hours.[p]Hope these tips help you out.[p]Stogie
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Stogie,[p]Scroll down to the discussion on "Smoked Pork" (posted on 3/19).[p]I'm curing some pork loin to make Canadian bacon.
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]OK, sorry about that. I do remember you talking about doing this.[p]Good luck with it![p]Stogie