Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump/Ash separator

tipc1
tipc1 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not been on here in a long time but I got a spring assist hinge for Christmas and my interest has been rekindled.
Several years ago somebody was talking about a homemade basket which sat on the bottom grate and fire box. Before starting a fire for the next cook, the basket was lifted out along with the reuseable lump leaving the ash behind to simply be brushed through the grate holes. It seems that person used expanded metal to construct the basket other materials were mentioned/considered. My question is if anyone has tried this with success?...has anyone refined this technicue?...has anyone come up with a better idea?
Sorting through the little hole clogger pieces of lump is the one downfall of the Egg in my opinion. Just looking for a faster and easier way.
Thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I think it is RRP who has the device you mention.

Your description, however, made me wonder if you could use a minnow bucket with any success.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    tjv has a really nice looking stainless one but it would be too pricey to make those, woodoggies has an expanded metal one that someone molded to shape to fit the firebox, im not sure how that one was formed but i think it could be made by putting a flat circular piece over the fire box outside the egg and building an extremely hot fire on it til it sagged down into shape.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    no - it wasn't me. As for the minnow bucket I think the holes would be too small as is, but could be enlarged. OTOH those typically are galvanized so wouldn't that be wrong to use in a fire box environment?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I was thinking the plastic type minnow bucket. They have a mesh interior bucket that is more like expanded metal.

I thought you were the one who had built a screen box using the hardware cloth. Guess I was mistaken.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I took two 40lbs kitty litter buckets and drilled numerous 3/8 inch holes in one of them. I put the "holely one inside another one. Place a lid on the holely one and shake. Let it sit for 5 minutes for the dust to settle and resue the lump.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Yes, much success. I have firebox liners for all my eggs including my mini.
    The stainless liners makes cleaning a breeze and I have found I get better fires with less localized hot spot at the very back.
    Here are a few pictures of the latest one for my second large egg.
    BGEFireboxliner0006.jpg
    BGEFireboxliner0009.jpg
    BGEFireboxliner0007.jpg
    I installed finger bolts for lifting in and out.
    BGEFireboxliner0008.jpg
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    OK, now tell us where we can get one of these liners. I like this idea! Shake those ashes and get cooking.
  • Clay Q
    At Target. 14 1/2" wide 6" deep stainless mixing bowl then you gotta punch the holes and attach the bolts.
    I've looked around and not much out there ready made so I went ahead and did the labor. It's a labor of love after all.
    tjv made a stainless ring firebox liner basket, he's got the tools and the know-how with stainless.
  • Buxwheat
    The 14 1/2" is for the large, right? I'll have to pick one on these up next time I'm out. I can probably use the Dremel to make the holes. How big in diameter are the slots and holes?
  • Clay Q
    Used a hand drill with a 3/8" bit for the bottom round holes and angle grider with metal cutting disc 3/16" wide to cut the slots. Took most of the burrs off with a flexable grinding disc. Watch out for edges, they can be sharp. Lastly hand filed corners and edges until smooth and free of burrs. Drilled two holes for the 2" long stainless finger bolts and attached. Then I was done. The effort was worth it. :woohoo:
    Good luck!
  • Buxwheat
    Thanks for the specs. I'll get started this weekend.
  • tipc1
    Thanks! You did a really nice clean job there. I'll get me one of those and see how mine turns out.
  • tipc1
    I was looking at the pictures again and had a thought.
    It might be a good idea to put a bucket handle on your 2 bolts for easier removal...jat
  • I definitely like Clays concept and may try and copy that sometime soon. But for now, the way I do it is, knock around the lump with the ash tool, let it fall down below. Then scrape out into this thing I made.
    This is about 3 months of not shaking it thru the strainer, just scraping out and closing up.
    DSCF3329.jpg
    A quick 5 sec shake to knock off some ash for the camera.
    DSCF3332.jpg
    And a aerial shot.
    DSCF3333.jpg

I will pick up the bottom grate and scrape everything into it about once a month, also comes in handy when I pull out the guts I throw the ash and small lump in the basket.

It fits perfectly under one of my tables, so that is where it typically sits.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    very clever...the used lump pieces are handy for smoking cheese and jerky.
    canuckland
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    That looks really nice. How long have you been using it? I just use a tub and colander from Walmart. I also use it to shake the dust off of the charcoal before I put it in my egg.

Dsc01200coalbucket-vi.jpg
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Love it. Where did you get the wire basket? Looks perfect.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    please peeple! stop with the galvy warnings!
    hahaha

you'll find (for those inclined to check out the MSDS stuff), that if the galvy fumes were to occur, they need temps that would also cause stainless to off-gas.

and when stainless produces gas, the fumes are more dangerous than galvy fumes. galvanized fumes aren't dangerous, they create "flue like symptoms", and after a day or so, the effects are gone with no long term issues. you can be exposed to galvy fumes up to 10 or 15 minutes a day by the guidelines in the MSDS.

but stainless fumes DO have a risk of actual long term health issues.

stainless isn't a magic cure all. it has a great name and benefits from some great marketing, but it is less healthy than galvanized steel when both are sitting next to each other and giving of gas (which can't really happen even sitting in the firebox anyway)

myths never die, because they always have an element of truth, and they are usually far easier to remember than the "real deal"

...stepping off the galvanized soap box.

(and i promise to not let this become a long discussion. i'm done. hahaha)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    wouldn't the plastic bucket melt and give off fumes?

hahaha
    (i know, i know, not used IN the egg, but just to separate the cold ash.)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I have been using it for about 8 months, I have been able to use a lot of charcoal that would have gone to waste before. I have also found a ton of rocks, even in my BGE lump. Hadn't noticed any in that. I bought 4 bags at eggtoberfest and am on my 3rd of the 4 and have found a handful of decent size rocks. I received a bag of cowboy for xmas and know I will find a lot of rocks in that stuff, based on previous experience.
  • I got the basket in the shelving/storage bins at a SuperTarget. I am sure you could find it at wally world. I just had the idea while girlfriend was shopping one day at Target. Been pretty handy. I calculated it once. I save an average of 0.79 lbs a month, at that rate I will have saved about 94.8 lbs in 10 years, which is about 75 dollars in savings! Besides its like panning for gold when I go to shake out the ash! :lol:
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I realize the savings is minimal, but I add my ash to my compost pile, along with the ash from my woodstove. The woodstove produces a lot more ash than my Egg, and also generates some pretty nice lump that is currently being tossed into the compost, where it will eventually be cursed when I'm trying to spread the compost out evenly on the lawn.

Thanks, I'll look for one next time I'm in a Target.