Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What next?

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well spring break is over.... back to work with the egg.
Anyone have any reccomendations or suggestions on something for me to try?
I am open to JUST about n e thing.
-Joel

Comments

• Joel Ferman,[p]Turducken. The Mount Everest of meat.[p]
    This was my effort:[p]http://benedict.isomedia.com/homes/stepscot/Index.htm

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Looking for something new? Squid of course.
    You'd be suprised how tender they can be. Good fer ya too.
    Chris

[ul][li]Squidly diddly[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]I fell in love with portabella mushrooms this weekend. Cooked them Sat. and Sun. night. You've probably already tried these, but if you haven't, they are quite a treat.[p]I marinated them for about 10 mins in Italian salad dressing, cooked gill-side down for 3 minutes at about 450 F, flip, add whatever toppings you like (I used Chevre' goat cheese), and let cook another 5 minutes or so (I used 3 minutes for the second side Sat. night, but found Sun. night that 5 mins. makes for a more tender & juicy shroom.[p]Yum. Yum. Wife was very pleased too.[p]TRex
  • Joel,
    With all of the talk about smoking a corned beef to make pastrami recently, I decided to give it a shot this weekend. I bought one of them thar pre-brined briskets for about 99 cents a pound from the local grocery store, rinsed it and smoked away. Came out great and has a ton of flavor. Makes for awesome sammich with horse radish...[p]Anyways, I pulled it off at an internal temp of 165. Next time I will shot for 185 or 195 so that more fat can rend from it but I will definitely be doing more of these. They're cheap, easy and very delectable.[p]Beers
    Matt.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    It's nothing exotic, but I still really like pork tenderloin marinated in Raspberry Chipotle Sauce with just a dab of mustard and a dash of Balsamic Vinegar. Marinade for several hours, add a good covering of fresh ground black pepper, spiral wrap with bacon and then...grill. I usually use tenderloins in the 1pound range, so they don't take long. Man, I'm getting hungry![p]Happy Trails,[p]LR

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Joel Ferman, I'm going tobe like your mother - EAT YOUR VEGETABLES! Peppers, asparagus, onions, tomatoes, carrots, squash, eggplant and other vegetables are great marinated in a Balsamic Vinegarette dressing and then grilled. Using a holey wok basket makes it even easier.

• Joel Ferman,[p]My suggestions are ...
    Use a WOK to make a dish of your choice
    or
    making an Paella (using an authentic pan).[p]Happy cooking !

• Nature Boy,[p]Hey, Chris, you ever try calamari steaks? I have been looking for them, frozen would be fine, and I bet your recipe would be great on them.[p]BTW, don't you think that "calamari" is much more pleasing to the ear than "squid"? :-)[p]Lee
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    QSis:[p]Regarding the choice of words, that is why the Italians chose to call squid calamari when prepared for eating. (smilie thingie)[p]So, tell me more about these calamari steaks . . . Just what are they? Extra large squid cut up in steak size portions?[p]By the way, calamari is great fondue style as well.
  • djm5x9,[p]Found this on the 'net:[p]“Calamari steaks” are the mantles from larger squid which are imported from Mexico, Peru and Argentina. These large squid are rarely seen whole; they are first cleaned, the pouch-like mantle split and tenderized, so they are ready for pan-frying. "[p]Lee

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Lee. Sorry I took so long. Never had squid steaks, but I have seen these mega squidlies on occasion at the market. Wondered what to do with them. Doubt they are the kind you describe, but I wonder about cutting them into steaks. Lan's family scores the squid with these wild patterns and pan fries them. [p]I kinda like the word "squid".
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ