Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauteed Veggies

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
I have a favorite method which employs the use of garlic-infused olive oil. In a standard size "Bell" jar (the kind that prepared spaghetti sauce is often sold in) I put a generous amount of peeled, halved, garlic cloves (a whole head is not too much) and then fill with olive oil. I sit this on the counter for 3 days, agitating & inverting it every so often. Afterwards, I carefully strain and refrigerate the oil. Over time it will set up like soft butter and I spoon some into the wok pan when I saute spinach, brocolli, string beans, cauliflower, etc. The flavor that the oil imparts is wonderful (especially if you're a garlic-lover like me)! BTW, you can keep the strained garlic in the fridge for a few days if you need some for a recipe. It just won't be full strength as though it was fresh. Enjoy!! 8 - ),,,

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i wonder how that would work with peanut oil for the wok
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Hmmm... never tried it. Do you think that peanut oil is better health-wise or is it the smoking/burn point that matters... From a health stand point, I've always thought of it as one of the "safer" oils...
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I do a similar trick only I egg bake the head and squeeze the cloves into the olive oil. Get a good smoked flavor on the garlic
    E
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Peanut oil is a monounsaturated fat and one of the recommended healthy choices, and it has the higher smoke point.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    its not good to breathe burning oil so healthwise at wok temps its probably better and you dont use much at all. thinking things thru i might try it with grapeseed oil, peanut has a heavier taste than grapeseed so grapeseed might be better with flavoring. there is so little oil used in a stir fry and its so quick at high temps the veggies sear before soaking the oil anyways, atleast i think thats happening. i used to have garlic soaking in olive oil for months on end before they started saying it was bad for you, kept adding oil and garlic as needed and always kept it on top of the fridge in a tupperware
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    I just buy the garlic infused olive oil at the store. Probably not as good as your home brew, but works well.