Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday night home Eggfest report

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saturday morning I woke up and told my wife it was going to be a day of the Egg. I had not been able to cook in a while, and was quite excited about the prospect of leisurely day.[p]For lunch it was tuna steaks - the first time I've done these, and I will definitely do them again. I bought the fresh stuff, two nice 1 3/4" thick steaks. I marinated them for about 10 mins in soy sauce, then rubbed them with Emeril's Essence and olive oil. Grilled them on Mini at about 550 F for 5 mins or so a side. They were a delicious medium rare.[p]For dinner I had planned to make pork chops with grilled pineapple, but then my buddy called me up and asked me if I would cook a steak for him if he bought it. How could I say no? Then, I also had promised a friend I would cook her some portabella mushrooms. So . . .[p]I did it all, thanks to utilizing both Mini and Medium. First grilled the steak on Medium (a 30 ounce 2" thick ribeye, mmmm!) using the sear/20 minute rest/cook at 400 method. It was delicious and very tender and juicy. Then did the pork chops just like I do steaks, with the rest and all. They were SO juicy and delicious. [p]Now, for the new experiments. Pineapple! Who would have thought how delicious this could be on the Egg? Sliced 1/2" discs and grilled them at about 500 F for 6 minutes a side. Crispy outside, warm and very tender and juicy inside - it was like eating dessert. So easy too. Complimented the pork very well, and my friend later that night discovered that they are very good with goat cheese spread over the top. [p]And finally, my favorite of the evening: portabellas. Thanks to DrBBQ and Mike in MN for the ideas. I ended up marinating the large caps in Italian dressing for about 10 minutes, then grilled them, gill side down, on Mini at 500 F for 3 minutes, flipped, added Chevre' goat cheese, and grilled for another 3 minutes. These turned out INCREDIBLE. Tender, but not mushy, and the taste was to die for. I will definitely be doing these more in the future.[p]At the end of the night, burned arm hairs and black fingernails and all, I was quite pleased with the Eggs' performances that day. Now, if only I could convince my wife that we need a Small - it definitely would have made last night's cooks more manageable.[p]Happy Egging to All,[p]TRex

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    TRex,[p]Someone did pineapple at the first EggFeat in Waldorf a couple of years ago . . . give this a try sometime.
    fresh sliced pineapple of course dipped in melted butter the dredged in Turbinado Sugar. Nearly everytime we cook (frequently 5 or 6 times a week) we do this or sometimes apples. My wife like Granny Smiths.
    Sounds like you had a great day.[p]

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    TRex,
    Hubby has done the grilled pineapple recipe from the forum. He liked it very well. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Grilled pineapple[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo wassup Carey!?
    That be MikeO's pineapple. Good shtuff. Since we first tried it a couple years back, we have done it once a month since then. Try mixing a little vanilla extract into the butter. Yowza. And you can play around with all different types of alceeholic ingredients for added flavor.[p]See you in 41 days.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    TRex,
    Hey, glad it all turned out! My salmon and portabellas worked yesterday, and right now I'm 17 hours into 2 pork shoulders...PP for supper![p]I just pulled an Egger cardinal sin by opening the dome and taking a picture of the center of my attention here today.. I added a little moisture to the drip pan (apple juice, wine and water)[p]
    I have a pineapple ripening on the counter as we speak. I'm going to try the pineapple on the Egg when it gets "happy."[p]Thanks!
    Mike in MN

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    TRex,
    You sparked my interest in mushrooms. I marinated mine about 10 minutes, cap side down and filled with Italtian dressing. Coated with extra virgin olive oil on the cap side. Cooked for about 3 minutes then turned and added 3 different kinds of cheese and bacon (already cooked). Fantastic.
    As far as the pineapple goes, haven't tried it yet but I will be doing it very soon as I have a shipment of Mahi Mahi coming in soon.[p]CWM

• TRex
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Okay, that's it. I've got to try this butter drizzled Turbinado sugared pineapple deal. Sounds delicious. I mean, it's already hard to imagine the pineapple turning out better than it did last night. This is an exciting recipe. Thanks.[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Good luck on the shoulders, and thanks again for the portabella ideas.[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Yes, it was a great day indeed. Thanks for the new pineapple idea. Will try it soon.[p]TRex