Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weight Loss Forum NOW OPEN!!!

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
This is a special forum setup due to popular request for all those wishing to shed a few pounds this year.

A healthy Egger is a happy Egger!

Comments

• Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    I'll start off. Beginning wt: 183.5# as of Jan 4. I'll post 'em as I lose 'em.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Hold on a minute. I din't know we were going to have to disclose our weight. I don't think that will go over with the girls here. I'm 5'8" and 1?0 lbs. as of 1/7/09.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Thanks WPB. I really appreciate this. It is much better than going off site to do the same thing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I, personally, would NEVER ask a "lady" to disclose her weight... your are a lady right? ;-)

Let's just play this whole thing by ear and see what happens?

As opposed revealing absolute weight, folks could always report stuff like walking distance or elapsed time updates. If your doing weights, you could report new weight level and/or reps ("whaddaya press?").

You could periodically just report your net loss from your starting weight without anyone knowing your starting weight.

And of course EGG-centric recipes would great! I LOVE doing stir-fry on my Large... and nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can beat the BGE for pure, even, high BTU output into a wok!! I put my wok right down on the coals and it's awesome.

And I think the basic idea is whatever helps you meet your own personal goals.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Anne,

I won't tell you my weight if you don't tell me yours...

Having suffered an eating disorder as a teen, I actually prefer not to step on the scale if I don't have to. But I do know I need to lose probably 20 or so pounds and I can judge that based on some jeans that are still hanging in my closet. I'll be looking here for healthy Egg recipe ideas and a kick in the butt for exercise.

It doesn't help that I'm on beta blockers for high blood pressure. Those tend to slow the metabolism. And as we gals get older, well, that slows it down as well.

So we can share exercise and food goals and if we can make those work, the net weight or size loss can be what we Egg Chicks talk about B)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Sounds like a plan Michelle!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I was wondering how many Eggheads were thinking of losing a bit of themselves.

I'm not 'officially' starting a diet but I'll try to lose 3 ounces of me each day over the next 267 days. I can do more but 3 ounces should be easy and is definitely more realistic than 'pounds.'

I'll report back from time to time how much I've taken off.

Thanks.

Spring "Weigh Too Much Of Me" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    let's see....

given 3500 calories per pound...

3500 cal/lb = 3500 cal/16 oz = 219 cal/oz

3 oz * 219 cal/oz = 660 calories

Most average men need approx 2000 cal per day, and I've read it is not advisible to go below 1500 cal per day.

So trying to hit 3 oz (660 calories) per day might be cutting it close.

I've recently read it is better to measure your waistline then weighing yourself, ESPECIALLY if you are lifting weights which adds muscle versus fat, so the scale might not show as much weight loss as you'd hope, but your waistline will shrink.

It is generally considered helpful to do some sort of weight lifting or other weight bearing excercise since the extra muscle burns more calories, even when you are not excercising.

Personally, I enjoyed backpacking which combines aerobics with weight bearing excercise. I also used hiking poles, which when used to help push your self forward works the back of the arms and can actually burn 30% more calories.

I have lately, due to work, which is a lame excuse, become slothful. But when I had worked up to a 45 lb pack, and hiked Kennessaw Mountain for 2-1/2 hours at least three days a week, I was BUFF, lean, ideal BP, and had perfect bloodwork.

My commitment is to get back to THAT place.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL 5'9" and 235 :( I am a big girl :) and 47 so I need to get a grip and not on some nice ribs :evil:
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Count me in. 6'0, 290.

I've been down to 230 twice in the last ten years, but couldn't stay there or keep going. I would love to get to 200. Haven't seen that since I was 13, and I just turned 56! I have done low carb with great success, but got bored with eating steak and bacon all the time. I've done low calorie and craved more of everything. I really think the key is exercise and moderation. We are blessed with scientists who have come up with great sugar substitutes, now why can't they do the same with butter and bacon???

Slick
  • Revolution
    Options
    Great idea!

I started the year at 227.5 and began working out at a gym. In addition, I started watching the calories and fat intake. I decided to go slow and see what happens. I am at 220 now, with a bunch more lbs. to shed.

This might be fun seeing how we all do.

-Charlie