Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who else is on the weight loss wagon?

2»

Comments

• BKC
    BKC Posts: 26
    I would be in for the "healthier food on the egg" part of this. I got my first egg (large) in mid November and found out in early December that I have high choleterol. I have been trying to find things to cook that are low fat/low cholesterol (not such an easy task). It would be nice to hear of cooks that work for others and maybe include the nutritional info??? By the way...just watching my fat and portion intake, I have lost 5 pounds in the past four weeks!
  • Hey everyone,

I am glad this came up. I have been on the South Beach Diet (SBD) for 3 1/2 years. I feel and look better. The week before and after Christmas I enjoy some Fudge & Cookies (a no-no on SBD) but I started back on SBD on 1/4/9.

Check with your Doctor if interested, I can have Pit Beef & do a Shredder pork lion NC style. Other favorites are Salmon, Chicken Breast, Lean Burgers, Pork Lion, Pork Tenderloin, and most Steaks. Phase I (for 2 weeks is tough) but Phase II is great. I also exercise about 30 minutes each morning before work. For big eater the SBD is the wait to go.

You can eat well & healthy at the same time. When family & friends eat the food I make that is on the South Beach Diet they love it. The issue never comes up that this food is part of the South Beach Diet.

Anyway, another option for weight loss, it is great that this group is willing to change their diets to have a happier life.

Good Luck ALL!
  • For those interested, since a HEALTHY Egger is a HAPPY Egger, I've set up a seperate forum on here for you all interested in weight loss stuff... like support and progress...

You can find it on the Main Menu under Forums / Weight Loss Forum.

I it accessible to registered users only.

ENJOY!!!
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    what would be helpful is some great tasting low cal recipes for the egg.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Count me in!!?? :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    BIRD MAN! I know your brownies won't put weight on anyone. :woohoo: You're bread is sinfully good. Glad your going to OKC.
    Mike
  • egret
    Mikey, how can you be so insensitive! Who said I was going to OKC?? :P
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I need someone to help me make fun of Chubby, hide his spices and rubs. Make sure he actually cooks something. Plus it is your time to stand up and be an Iron Egg Chef. I'm ready to play some golf. They got by easy last time. :woohoo:

Mike
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Wowwwwwwwwwww Rod.......this post looks like a very heavy weight wagon :laugh: ....TKS for reminding me to have a check up after my egg addiction..... :unsure:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I hear you on the sodium. When I'm at work I sometimes like to grab a "Lean Cuisine" for lunch, because of how fast and easy they are but some have 960mg of sodium in each. That's just insane.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    I've only known you for 1/2 year but I lost 90 lbs and have kept it off for almost 3 years. My diet was simple: I eliminated almost all sugar in my diet-except BBQ sauces and rubs, breads, rice, pasta, potatoes, and regular soda. I drink tons of h20 and work out 3-5 days a week. Since I picked-up this BGE habit the last 1.5 years the weight loss has stopped. No New Years resolution here but I've pledged to get more stringent with my plan again and stay away from Doug's beer fridge. :laugh: I hope to lose another 30 lbs prior by 5/1/09.
  • egret
    Yeah.....that's what I'm talkin' about!! I'll consult with the boss! :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Teddy,don't stay away from my fridge,just stay out of it :laugh: :lol: Come on by,I'll keep the fridge cleaned out all by myself :whistle: :blink:
  • reelgem
    Is that all she weighed? :ohmy:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Hey John, don't take this the wrong way, but I need to lose you - figuratively of course.

I can;t imagine that you need to lose weight, but you are welcome to jump in and make fun of me along the way.
  • reelgem
    I lost 15 in the last 3 mos. I don't keep any junk food in the house. Unsalted pretzels or Baked Tostitos Scoops with salsa and Smart Balane popcorn (sprayed with Crisco spray butter). I'll tell you the spray butter is great on everything. I fry potatoes in it and I can't believ how crispy they come out. I don't use any real butter, ever. The rest is just common sense on healthy eating.
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    I am also having a big birthday this year and do like to eat!
    I have dieted in the past and have had great success with the South Beach Diet. Get a book and do the first 2 weeks as written, then you will be on your way to dropping pounds of fat. The first 2 weeks are the hardest, but I dropped 7 lbs the first week. The menu changes after that and you never go hungry. The food is healthy, a lot of Big Green Egg cooking fits right in with the diet.
    Cutting out WHITE bread, WHITE rice and pasta is a must.
    Veggies, lean meat, exercise and lots of water. There are great recipes on the internet and in the South Beach Diet book.
    Eliminating real sugar is a must; there are plenty of substitutes that taste just as good as real sugar.
    Good luck.

***Before you start any diet, get a physical***
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    I pretty much figured you'd handle your fridge all by yourself. If you're lucky you might see me this weekend. B)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    :lol: Gee,thanks :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I look forward to it man ;)
  • Fidel
    Good advice, thanks. The physical is in the morning - I'll be studying for it all night.

I have sworn off anything white - rice, potatoes, sugar, etc. Lots of fruits and veggies and a little lean protein and i'm well on my way.

For the record I am down 6 pounds since 1/2/09. Only an egret to go.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Great Idea...I started my 30 pound weight loss program with a FULL PHYSICAL however and I highly recommend that step especially if Diabeties is in the family, don't play with fire.

As a example, in my case I found I had high blood pressure and a BAD lipid profile, so I bought a BGE, changed my diet, started moderate exercise and dropped 30 pounds in just a few months, blood work is climbing and the blood pressure is CURED.

First step...not GUESSING what might need adjusted, finding out for sure...yes you have to be poked in places you didn't used to get poked but a EKG and some blood work never KILLED anyone, only those that avoided them.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now...and I'll put you on my prayer list that your resolution is maintained...it IS possible to eat well on the BGE and maintain your weight. It DOES take some work.

Big (but quickly losing that title) T
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Fidel
    Did you read in this thread at least a couple times where I listed that I have a physical tomorrow?

I agree with you, it is a vital step. You have to know where you are and what you need to do to get to your goals.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I started Monday. My goal is 27# by April. The last time I lost weight I lost 45# in 3 months. I was miscible, only had 1000 calories a day. My doctor was not happy. That was 4 years ago and I am still under what I started at then. I'm down 3# already.
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    I'm about to be back on the wagon. Two years ago I dropped just over 40 lbs.
    I've been creeping back up again since 2nd child was born last year (Jan 28).
    I tend to hibernate in the winter and eat way too much.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    I'm trying to lose a few pounds (about 9 lbs, to be exact) that I've gained following the 'Fest season. I actually maintained my weight during the holidays.

I'm a Weight Watchers member, but I also hold 6 meetings a week as a Leader. It's a lifestyle and I'll always be adjusting depending on what's happening in my life with my food intake and activity.

My weekly weigh in is on Mondays, so that's the BIG day for me. I track what I eat and weigh and measure whenever possible. For me, it's the only way that I'm successful at losing. "Guesstimating" doesn't work for me, except on the rare occasion. And, if I'm not writing things down, I'll take in way more than I need.

So, while I don't have as much to lose as some of the others, I did originally lose 61 lbs, and I am trying to maintain that loss. So you can count me in on climbing about the WL Wagon!
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    I had my regular check up last Tuesday along with a complete blood workup including blood sugar and PSA for prostate. I'm borderline and below on most. My main problem is my weight. 5'11 and 254lbs. At my age 81 I need to loose more than 50lbs.
    After my checkup I dug out my old dusty and rusted DP exersizer bike and began to use it finally.