Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 6.5lb brisket. Set BGE up with webber grill under fire ring with two firebricks placed on lower grill and pan of water on top of bricks. Brisket was sprinkeled with Butt rub and covered with mustard. Temp was stablized at 225. Brisket was placed fat side up on top grill and left for 14 hrs (no peeking). Results were a very tender center and top but real tough and almost burned bottom portion of the brisket. Am I wrong or should I have a more uniform piece of meat. Everyone at tailgate raved on the brisket but I had trimmed a lot of the tough bottom portion. Help

Comments

• disabledDK
    Options
    Pokesalad, It sounds very tasty. I have tried the low and slow method with similar results, then I tried the Dallas Dandy method from Smoke and Spice. It was very, very good! If you don't have that book I'll post the recipe. Happy egging. DK

• DK,
    Here's a link to the recipe.[p]rj

[ul][li]Dallas Dandy Brisket[/ul]
  • Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Options
    Pokesalad,[p]I cooked a brisket about the same size with the same setup last weekend. However, I only cooked mine for about 12 hrs. Did you every check the internal temp or use the fork test before removing it? Was this a whole brisket (both the Point and the Flat)? I find it better to use a larger brisket 9+ lbs that is uniform in thickness (no thin end to burn) with a nice hard fat cap (this shows that the cow was feed well). I also trim the fat to less than a 1/4" to help the smoke penetrate in to meat easier.

• disabledDK
    Options
    rj, thanks for link. That is the recipe I used at the Pig on the Pond BBQ contest. DK

• Byrdo,
    It was a whole brisket small and thin. I didn't check the internal temp. I smoked overnight. I probably cooked too long however I read everthing from 2 to 3 hrs per lb.
    Thanks for the info.[p]

• DK,
    Thanks for the info. I will try this method next.[p]

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Pokesalad,
    For that size brisket you went way too long. The rule of thumb is 1 1/2 hours per pound at about 250. I think 8 to 10 hours would have been a better time.
    Your setup sounds good, although I don't think water in the pan is needed on a egg. Just use the pan to catch the grease.

[ul][li]10 hour brisket[/ul]
  • ravnhaus,
    Thanks a lot will try that

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Pokesalad,[p]I also did brisket this weekend: 2 4' flats. I followed Elder Ward's recipe, had a dome temp of 250, but was really alarmed at the rapid rise in internal temperature in the meat, despite firebricks, aluminum foil uder the rack, etc. I reached 160 degrees internal in around 2.5 hrs. Waay too short a time, at least realtive to all the other recipies for brisket I've seen.[p]I didn't want to overcook the meat, so I took it off at 165, wrapped it in aluminum foil, put it inside a tight cooler, and waited for the guests to arrive.[p]About 3.5 hrs later, I unwrapped the briskets - still steaming - and slived away. Done to perfection! The "resting in foil in a cooler" part seems equally important as the cook. It gave a chance for the moisture to return into the meat. In fact, the lower brisket in the cooler was about 1/2" deep in juice. [p]I think this "rest" is hugely important for the brisket, since we all know it is a tough cut of meat.[p]Bob V.