Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue Swine Pie (& some answers)

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some have asked how I come up with my ideas. I often joke that I have been drinking but the truth is I have no idea. I don’t have an attention span (let alone a short one) so I rarely give new cooks any affirmative thought, read cookbooks, watch food tv, or do research of any kind. New things pop into my head as images of finished dishes that I reverse into a method, cook, eat, if I like, repeat.

Its that simple.

Having said that, it is hard to imagine that any of us has a truly original idea. I had never seen or heard of a La Bomba Biscotto before I thought of it a few weeks ago, but I am not so arrogant to believe that someone hasn’t put the two together before, so I see new ideas I have as really only new to me. Whatever I cook is usually nothing more than a continuing evolution of things I have already cooked, I just enjoy continuing to walk further down the path rather than stopping.

On the downside, this spontaneity results in chronic inconsistency and an inability to recreate successful cooks because I almost never write anything down or remember exactly what I did. Posting my cooks with instructions has helped me, but I can tell you that they are never 100% accurate due to memory deficits that develop contemporaneously with the cook. Thanksgiving was the 5th year I wanted to do a Mad Max Turkey, but every time I open up that link & start to read it I get almost immediately frustrated & end up doing my same old inferior method (it is good, but I am sure not as good).

Nuffa that nonsense, the Blue Swine Pie (pronounced ‘Blue Swan Pa’) was created a little differently. I was reflecting on how tender & tasty the Hoggzza was when it occurred to me that it could be improved. Multiple sections of paper-thin loin interlaced with toppings stacked into a pie tin, topped with cris-crossed bacon, painted with bbq sauce, smoked, cooled, sliced, & served like apple pie would melt in the mouth... wouldn’t it?

Thusly, this wretched but frigg’n succulent abomination was created.

Thankfully, the last of the original loin from 2 weeks ago (food-savered):

IMG_2753.jpg

Pounded & overlapping the tin:

IMG_2756.jpg

Layer of Genoa Salami:

IMG_2757.jpg

More loin:

IMG_2758.jpg

Spinach that has been kicked in the sack:
IMG_2759.jpg

More loin:

IMG_2760.jpg

Provolone, fire oil & cayenne peppers:

IMG_2761.jpg

More loin (I was running out):

IMG_2762.jpg

Prosciutto di Parma:

IMG_2763.jpg

You guessed it, more loin & the original overlapping sections flipped over:

IMG_2764.jpg

Bacon (I let it overlap so the fat would drain out of the pie):

IMG_2765.jpg

On the egg indirect, legs up, on grid over cherry at 400:

IMG_2766.jpg

About an hour later, paint on the blues (yea, it was rain’n like a mo-ho-f**kidy outside so this was a bit of an ass-ache):

IMG_2769.jpg

About 15 minutes later:

IMG_2772.jpg

All done:

IMG_2774.jpg

Like apple pie & caramel sauce :laugh: :

IMG_2775.jpg

Final Notes:
* I originally envisioned this as a Carniswine Pie, although I never tasted Todd’s BBQ Sauce, from all I have read about it on the forum it seems a natural match, but I went with what I had on hand.

* I thought about calling this a Deep Dish Hoggza as well.

* I encourage those of you who are talented in flavor, ingredient & texture combinations to improve the pie, I think it has great potential.
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That looks like heart attack in a sack...right up my alley.
  • Zippylip
    Options
    yep, this is the kind of thing you make when you're pretty sure the world is gonna end, soon
    happy in the hut
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Damn Zippy,you are amazing!!!That looks great :woohoo: I guess that it's good for ya,since you let the fat roll off the bacon,right? :lol: :laugh: :woohoo: I'll ask my doctor :blink:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Oh Dear Lord, That looks just unbelievable. I may have to send you some sauce if you keep the original name and let me post it on my site. That screams Carnivore!!ENCORE!!ENCORE!!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Zippy........I could kill to have a little taste of that.... ;) Great!!! I can imagine it also covered with a puff pastry..mmmmmm
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Really the bacon was the only fatty thing (cept the 3 oz of salami), the loin is pretty lean as is the prosciutto. Don't get me wrong, this is a heart attack on a plate, but eaten in moderation :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: it is just fine
    happy in the hut
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    OHHHHH-MYYYYY-GOOOOOOSH!!

Zippy, you are a visionary sir - maybe with no forethought, but a visionary nonetheless.

This bad boy is a shoe-in for the Grand Champion trophy at this year's Pork Producer's of America Annual All-things-pork Fest. Are you kidding me? AWESOME!
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    A M A Z I N G ! ! !

This makes playing with stuffed tenderloin look like mere child's play :laugh:

I'm going to experiment with this! I want to work in some buckboard bacon and pulled pork, to make it a "deeper" hogfest.

I see real potential for experimenting with this and the Hoggzza, thanks!
    :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Marc,

Jeez bud! Your repeating ingredient is pork. That looks amazing. Me likey pork.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    HOLY COW! That looks fantastic.

Man, there aren't enough meals in a week to keep up with you and the rest of the great cooks on this forum. I just bought the stuff for a cheesesteak fattie and am planning my first pizza and you come along with this blockbuster! I NEED MORE TIME!
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I agree Todd, like I said, Carniswine Pie was the vision, & you are more than welcome to post it on your site, in fact, with your talent I would think you could put some ingredients in that go much better with loin that what I have done, mine is pork with pork, pork, & more pork, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it could use some'n else :cheer: , also, get Sparky to take the pictures, my camera is lacking in megapixels
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Beli, if you want one of these covered in puff pastry, you're gonna have to talk to bubba tim about that :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    there is such a thing :huh:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Nils, one of my thoughts was packing this into a springform pan, that way you could make it about twice as high, cause you know, there just isn't enough room for more cheese & pork in a regular pie tin
    happy in the hut
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Dude, you really make some amazing s**t! -RP
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Steven, I am done with the pork. When the wife brought this thing (below) home two weeks ago, it weighed in at 10lbs. I sawed it in half to make the bombaflowerspinalone, food savered the other half only to thaw 1/2 or it out on Sunday to make the Hoggzza, the 2.5 pounds left in the freezer must have been haunting my subconscious cause I actually thought of today's cook yesterday:

IMG_2710.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sparky,

Eggzactly! Uh...don't mention this to your doc. Trust me on this OK.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Options
    Frank, you don't need more time, just more eggs ;)
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Thank you very much
    happy in the hut
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    Hmm,

I like the pie tin idea - was more thinking what other variations to do, but now you got me thinking (bad idea!)

For more vertical headroom to pack more goodies... there is the dutch oven! Now that's deepdish pie!

I'll experiment some with pie tins for flavor combinations before I tackle the dutch oven though.

With thicker (deeper) pies, trick will be ensuring the middle is cooked with respec tto the outside. Kinda like my pizzas - in my book, if it isn't at least an inch think - its not a pizza - is just flavored substrate!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Marc,

Have I mentioned how much I like your granite? I just had Norma log on to see this dish. I can see a world of possibilites in this genre. Beef, veal, chicken and lamb would work. Various cheeses, vegetables and flavour ingredients. I'm thinking about capers, anchovies, foie gras, beans and a bunch of other ideas.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Zippy,
    Your cooks are assume! looks great.
    Ross
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    If there were - it would win. Still freaking out....
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Hey Zip - Have you ever heard of that dessert, death by chocolate? I would love to know your cholesterol. It looks great, but I think most eggers would have blocked arteries with in a hour. And you with your Italian heritage.. :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Thanks Ross, I appreciate the compliment :)
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    what you don't see is what I eat for breakfast, mid-morning munch, lunch, mid-afternoon munch, & dinner the nights I don't post, lots of sticks, twigs, fruits, berrys, nuts, granola & gravel, & other hippie-like sh**, & I excercise twice a day :ohmy:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    completely agree, & a thought I had was chicken thighs, it pounds real nice, very moist, & the flavor would be great. The possibilities are as endless as they are for pizza. My ingredient repertoire is faily limited, so my variations would be limited, but some people on this forum could really kick this thing through the uprights
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Marc,

You could really do any pastry based pie with this using lean meats instead of pastry. You could pound eye of round, fill with sauteed onions and demi glace for a Brit style steak and onion pie or steak and kidney pie. You could use air dried beef for the top. I'm liking it a lot. Brings a whole new meaning to our Scottish reference to meat pie.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    That looks incredible Marc. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Zippylip
    Options
    do, post it, I wanna see it
    happy in the hut