Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Blue Swine Pie (& some answers)

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some have asked how I come up with my ideas. I often joke that I have been drinking but the truth is I have no idea. I don’t have an attention span (let alone a short one) so I rarely give new cooks any affirmative thought, read cookbooks, watch food tv, or do research of any kind. New things pop into my head as images of finished dishes that I reverse into a method, cook, eat, if I like, repeat.

Its that simple.

Having said that, it is hard to imagine that any of us has a truly original idea. I had never seen or heard of a La Bomba Biscotto before I thought of it a few weeks ago, but I am not so arrogant to believe that someone hasn’t put the two together before, so I see new ideas I have as really only new to me. Whatever I cook is usually nothing more than a continuing evolution of things I have already cooked, I just enjoy continuing to walk further down the path rather than stopping.

On the downside, this spontaneity results in chronic inconsistency and an inability to recreate successful cooks because I almost never write anything down or remember exactly what I did. Posting my cooks with instructions has helped me, but I can tell you that they are never 100% accurate due to memory deficits that develop contemporaneously with the cook. Thanksgiving was the 5th year I wanted to do a Mad Max Turkey, but every time I open up that link & start to read it I get almost immediately frustrated & end up doing my same old inferior method (it is good, but I am sure not as good).

Nuffa that nonsense, the Blue Swine Pie (pronounced ‘Blue Swan Pa’) was created a little differently. I was reflecting on how tender & tasty the Hoggzza was when it occurred to me that it could be improved. Multiple sections of paper-thin loin interlaced with toppings stacked into a pie tin, topped with cris-crossed bacon, painted with bbq sauce, smoked, cooled, sliced, & served like apple pie would melt in the mouth... wouldn’t it?

Thusly, this wretched but frigg’n succulent abomination was created.

Thankfully, the last of the original loin from 2 weeks ago (food-savered):

IMG_2753.jpg

Pounded & overlapping the tin:

IMG_2756.jpg

Layer of Genoa Salami:

IMG_2757.jpg

More loin:

IMG_2758.jpg

Spinach that has been kicked in the sack:
IMG_2759.jpg

More loin:

IMG_2760.jpg

Provolone, fire oil & cayenne peppers:

IMG_2761.jpg

More loin (I was running out):

IMG_2762.jpg

Prosciutto di Parma:

IMG_2763.jpg

You guessed it, more loin & the original overlapping sections flipped over:

IMG_2764.jpg

Bacon (I let it overlap so the fat would drain out of the pie):

IMG_2765.jpg

On the egg indirect, legs up, on grid over cherry at 400:

IMG_2766.jpg

About an hour later, paint on the blues (yea, it was rain’n like a mo-ho-f**kidy outside so this was a bit of an ass-ache):

IMG_2769.jpg

About 15 minutes later:

IMG_2772.jpg

All done:

IMG_2774.jpg

Like apple pie & caramel sauce :laugh: :

IMG_2775.jpg

Final Notes:
* I originally envisioned this as a Carniswine Pie, although I never tasted Todd’s BBQ Sauce, from all I have read about it on the forum it seems a natural match, but I went with what I had on hand.

* I thought about calling this a Deep Dish Hoggza as well.

* I encourage those of you who are talented in flavor, ingredient & texture combinations to improve the pie, I think it has great potential.

Comments