Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

indirect cooking question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,
I have had my large egg for about 4 weeks now, I have to say I thought I was excellent in bbq-ing and smoking of meat until I started reading this forum. I have learned so much it blows me away! I still struggle with the fire starting and temperture control, but I am learning. My question is: I bought the v-rack with the drip pan. I thought this was all I would need, but then I see some of you with fire bricks and a extra grill. What is the best method for indirect cooking. Pro's and con's with each system. Also what size grill should I get for the second tier, is it the same as the original grill 18 inches that comes with the large egg, and how much does these fire bricks cost. Thanks for any info you can offer. PRAY FOR OUR SOLDIERS! Joe V

Comments

• disabledDK
    Options
    joseph valfre, GO USA!! I don't use the fire bricks, but I do have a plate-setter that I use. Turn it upside down and place whatever grill fits inside the egg. You will have to experiment with what works for you. The BGE will never let you down. Happy egging, DK

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    joseph valfre,
    I am doing a pork loin right now indirect using a plate setter. I didn't realize I would use it co much but using it upside down as a indirect or upright for a pizza stone, I use it often.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    joseph valfre,[p]I used a drip pan and v-rack for quite a while. A real pain in the buttinsky if'n you ask me. A quick note, just in case, never drink the drippins directly from the drip pan, this is most especially true if the darn thing is still hot, there was a time when I was walkin around with a set of real big ol' bubba lips..and my wife just refused to kiss me..I actually finally talked her into it, by letting her have the last beer (actually she probably really needed it, to get up the courage to attempt to kiss me in that bizzare state)..and when she finally did..man alive..my giant bubba lips cut off all of her air passages, then it took all our strength just to pull us apart due to some sorta bizzare big bubba lip vapor lock situation.....all of which resulted in us both having big bubba lips for a day or so..needless to say, she was not all that impressed.[p]I finally got me a plate setter, one of the best things I've done in a long time (cept for finally trimmin my toenails ..you wouldn't believe the money I'm saving by not havin to buy so many socks now, plus..I'm also savin on band aids for the misses, it's sort of like a two for one deal, shoulda done that a long time ago). The great thing about the plate setter is that I don't mess around with extra grills or firebricks no more, just flip the thing over so the legs are facing up, put a pie plate on it to catch the drippins, and drop the grill on top of the legs, perfect for indirect cooks. Haven't used it for a pizza yet, cause my pizza stone ain't in yet, had to order it from the dealer.[p]StumpBaby
  • joseph valfre,[p]The V-Rack is fine. You need nothing else to do indirect cooking.[p]Follow the link to the BGE extended grid and plate setter. These are used for indirect cooking. I use a plate setter or the extended grid for most indirect cooks. [p]The reason is because the clean up is much easier. I put a drip pan, or tin foil, beneath the grid, and the roast or ribs on the grid. When dinner is ready, I run a brush over the grid, and then crumble the tin foil and throw it away. Clean up is done.[p]A lot of people use the plate setter (awesome for pizza) or fire bricks as "additional mass", or just more stuff to get warm and hopefully stablize the temp. I haven't done enough overnight cooks to prove it, but it seems to me that the more "additional mass" that I use, the more likely the fire is to go out overnight. I now use as little extra stuff as possible for extra long cooks. The egg does not really need any help. Fire bricks cost $1-$2 each and are sometimes available at Home Depot, and usually available at wood stove and fireplace shops.[p]Good luck. Temp control will be a piece of cake for you in no time.[p]Pout

[ul][li]BGE grid and plate setter[/ul]
  • Horn Dog
    Horn Dog Posts: 14
    Options
    Toe 49,
    At what temp are you cooking the loin indirect? Also, how big is your loin and how long will it take?