Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who else is on the weight loss wagon?

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
Yea, one of my resolutions was to become more healthy this year. Not just to lose a little weight (OK, a lot), but to check both my blood lipid profile and blood pressure and correct both if necessary. I have not had a full physical in several years, and since I have one of those really ugly, nasty birthdays coming up this year I decided I am going to get back down to my fighting (or in my case football playing) weight by my birthday. Of course, Type II diabetes runs on both sides of my family, so I really need to be careful to avoid that monster too.

Is anyone else on the same wagon? Is there any interest in a support group with weekly sharing of progress, etc? We all know we can cook healthful meals on the BGE and make the right choices - maybe if we band together we can help one another.

I know this has happened in the past. Over the past year there were a couple people who have tried starting something like this. Something made me remember Celtic Wolf as one of them, and a forum search turned up this thread. It seems that maybe Spring Chicken also posted some information early last year. I'm not trying to be original, just trying to put out feelers for interest.

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I'm in!! Great idea Rod!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Count me in...Diabetes on both sides, dad with heart problems whose father died of a heart attack when he was six, etc etc...and I'm getting past the I'm just a big guy to yeah I'm fat stage, and with my second child just born...
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    I know several people who have had success with this website. You could make a BGE team.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Exactly 4 years ago today I retired at age 60.5. At that time I was the heaviest I had ever been in my life due to stress and lack of exercise. I had had prostate cancer 4 years prior and a couple months before retiring I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I've been on maintenance drugs for blood pressure since age 29. My wife and I started a regiment of walking 1.5 to 2.0 miles seven days a week and have only missed one day in four years. It's a way of life just as routine as getting up in the morning! I didn't go on a diet, but gradually learned to eat in moderation. Within nine months I had lost 33 pounds and settled in at 172. To this day I hover at 174 to 175, but I'm content and am walking talking proof that one can lose weight without a fad diet or cutting out the good things at the dinner table. Good luck to all who get on Fidel's bandwagon - I'll cheer you on!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i think im 40 pounds heavier since last years weight loss wagon.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I've got an interest here... Reading ingredient labels on fast foods (like the frozen stuff) will reveal sodium levels that go through the roof if you're trying to control your blood pressure. Like most "Eggers" I often cook at home so that I know what's on my plate. Unfortunately, when I look for a quick "fix" in the no-brainer isles, they're so loaded with sodium (you gotta read mg/serving!) that I toss 'em back! Most of what we're offered in food stores is for sh--t!
  • Fidel
    Well, on Jan. 1 I was a full 17 pounds over where I was on 1/1/08. That was a wakeup call. I am getting older, metabolism is slowing, and life's stress is catching up to me. I was also exactly 80 pounds higher than what I weighted on my wedding day twelve years ago - granted I was full time active duty military back then.

I have set some realistic goals and a realistic time frame. I have made the commitment.
  • Fidel
    I don't know what my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. are yet. I go to the doc tomorrow morning. Historically my blood pressure has always been on the low side of the normal range.

I personally don't care much for fast food, never have. My biggest issue is portion control. I was raised playing football and the training table mentality has always been with me, but has really caught up to me the past few years.
  • fishlessman
    im not saying im not for it, ill be looking harder at loosing weight this year but more importantly just eating better foods, i lean heavily to meat bread and beer, maybe less meat and bread would help :whistle: . after work yesterday one of our employees had a heartattack on the way home, 33 years old in good shape but not one for physicals excersize etc. kinda scary
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    I agree with everything you're saying. Walking is the greatest exercise in the world. I walk 3 mi./day myself. At first the exercising is rough but then it becomes a daily routine. It's good for your mental health too, great stress reliever.
  • reelgem
    I agree with everything you're saying. Walking is the greatest exercise in the world. I walk 3 mi./day myself. At first the exercising is rough but then it becomes a daily routine. It's good for your mental health too, great stress reliever.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ask your doc about the sodium issue. my wife's cardiologist said that sodium is an issue for folks with a genetic predisposition to hypertension aggravated by sodium, and that (i was surprised) sodium itself doesn't necessarily raise blood pressure, even in high amounts. basically, the connection between sodium and hypertension is not confirmed.... not everyone needs to "cut down on sodium"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    In August we got a WII fit. I use that 4-6 times a week and I also started drinking 3-4 liters of water a day. I have not changed what I eat but how much I eat because the water fills me up. (of course I can never be too far away from Le Toilet) :-)

I have lost 30lbs this way...unfortunately I have more to go...but I do love my water... :silly:
  • stike
    hmmm/ i could probably outrun you and your knife now.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rod,

I am at my correct weight. I just wish it was all in the places it used to be. Norma and I have committed to a healthier lifestyle in this year and I think it would be a great idea to have a place to post your successes and failures.

Steve

BTW don't read post above

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    I'm at my correct weight too, if I was 7'9" tall.
  • fishlessman
    ah, but the hatchet, you will need a 5 second head start.
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    I punched in your height, sorry

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Steve that's the best explanation I've heard for Middle-Aging..the perfect weight but in the wrong places.. :P Rod has a point there. I haven't had a check-up for a whole year after I got my first egg and feel my eating habits have changed quite a bit....must try & have one soon...
  • Little Steven
    Beli,

I've let mine go for too long as well. BTW I had some problems at the house today and didn't get in to the office. I will locate that package tomorrow.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    I have 8 bets going on at this time:

4 are greatest % of weight loss by 3/31/2009

1 is 50 pounds total loss by 8/1/2009

1 is 30 pounds total loss by 3/31/2009

1 is total workouts per month

1 is total workouts per week

The thing to remember is you should have more than just a target. Have a process...thus the workouts per week and per month. This will ensure I am doing the work to lose the weight, the ultimate goal.

Also, and I haven't told anyone this yet, but I am going to try to hit the gym 365 days straight. A very lofty goal indeed.

Good luck everyone!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I got rid of 103lbs of ugly fat last year. :woohoo: 45-50 would be nice this year, but would 35 would put me at my college weight. :ohmy:

Mike
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I hear you. The wife and I have been seeing a nutritionist, and it's making a big difference in our lives. She diagnosed me as gluten sensitive and got us to throw out everything with high fructose corn syrup, transfats, and any other ingredient we couldn't pronounce. We've also cut way back on simple carbs and sugars.

I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm feeling much better. My joints don't hurt and I don't ache all over like I used to. Nice.

Barbecue still fits in pretty well. Once we got the crap out of our systems and the chronic inflammation went away, the fat we eat doesn't kick up my cholesterol anymore. Meat and mixed veggies make up most of our meals.

Good luck.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Steve
    No problem.....can't wait to see your finished tenderloin......
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Count me in, Rod. I've been on the wagon since late November, and have been doing pretty well, even factoring in the holidays. Still have a ways to go before hitting my fighting weight, but I'm there with you, amigo.
  • If you guys want us to... and there is enough interest... I think WMK and I could accomodate you all by creating a forum right here (example: like forum feedback) and then you guys could have all your posts specific to weight loss over there so they wouldn't be mixed in with the regular forum.

Let me know... I should be able to set it up in minutes.

You can respond here or shoot an email to webteam@eggheadforum.com.

Let me know.
  • stike
    oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!

boy oh boy you oppint a canno worms
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    In 2006, a bunch of us decided to lose 20# each. Everyone weighed in on Jan 1 and again on Apr 1. Anyone not making weight by April Fools' Day had to pony up $500 and the pot was to be divided by all the winners. No one had to pay up: we all cut 20#'s or more. Originally I got permission to be in for 15# instead of 20, since I weighed only 182, and the others were all over 200. I wasn't getting anywhere the first month or two, then finally it all started melting off and I got down to 160. Nice and slim for my daughter's wedding that summer. Since then, I have steadily picked up until I reached an new all time high of 183.5 this past Sunday. I need to get motivated again this year. Hell, I was ready to cut a leg off the last time rather than part w/ $500.
    Anyway, this is how I did it last time: Absoulutely no starch munchies, cookies, cakes, pies, candy, or ice cream. Only 1 beer a day (until Lent, then none). For breakfast just a bowl of oatmeal. Lunch was a cup or two of my home made veggie soup (about 60 cal/cup). Dinner was whatever wifey made or wherever we went out. Otherwise nothing different. No exercise, pills, etc. I went to the grocery store Sunday and bought the soup ingredients...still haven't made it. I'll start for sure this weekend. (It won't help that my daughter gave me one of those Krupp's BeerTenders for Christmas. I went through 2 draft kegs the first 10 days.)
  • When I got laid-off Oct. 15th and have lost 25lbs. up to now, dose that count?
    Ross