Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts have been going for 19 hours...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The internal temp is still only about 165 (The dome temp is 250 degrees). The two butts weigh 6 lbs each. Is this amount of time abnormal?

Comments

• Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    WhistlevilleSmoker, I would recommed increasing your dome to 300. I usually hit 165 around 16 hours, then increase to 250-300 to finish it off, around 20 hours.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    WhistlevilleSmoker,
    165° is most likely the plateau temp for that particular butt..if it has been at 165° for a couple hours you should wait until you see it begin to rise meaning it has broken through the plateau and then you can bump your temp up to 275°-300° to fnish it off sooner if you choose. I try to shoot for an internal of 200°. Also you should make sure your dome therm. is calibrated when working with low temps to insure you are actually at the 250° you are seeing...[p]Wess