Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Digiq II Questions???

Todt
Todt Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
Does anyone have a BBQ Guru Digiq II? I am thinking of getting one and would like to hear some reviews. I have an XL and I was wondering on how the fan keeps it from drawing air while it is not on (ie; if the fan kicks on to stoke the coals then what keeps it from reaching too high of a temp). Does it really do that good of a job keeping a constant temp?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    It pulses air as needed to maintain a temp. The guru's do a great job of controlling temps. I have the least expensive model (the pitminder) and love it
  • Todt
    When you use it do you keep the top vent cut down quite a bit to keep it from getting too hot?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I have both the Digiq II (q2) and the Stoker. You will find and excellent review of the q2 on The Naked Whiz Website.

The q2 has a shutter/slider to restrict the air flow. I have found on my q2 (10cfm fan) & large egg if leave the slider full open sometimes I will over shoot the set temperature. Closing the fan down to 1/3 to 1/2 prevents the temperature from over shooting. If I am doing a low and slow I may even close down to 1/4.

You will find the owners of the q2 will give rave reviews I don't think I have ever seen a negative post regarding the unit. The q2 is very easy to use and the company service is excellent and very fair.

On The Naked Whiz Website you will also find a review for the Stoker as well as a side by side comparison.

The stoker has a gravity 'flap' that falls down (closes) when the fan is not operating. I don't think the flap should be a deciding factor between the two units. There are other considerations that are more important.

Here is a link to TNW review of the DigiQ II. Spend some time on the site there is a lot of great information beyond these reviews. http://nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/digiq2/digiq1.htm

GG
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    If I am doing a long, slow cook. I keep the top closed all the way, except for spinning the "petals" open.

The key is to get the thermo in a good spot. Try to keep it away from the hot coming from aroung the platesetter and place it near the center of the grid.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    I've become a big fan of the Digiq II. It's nice to have it get to temp, put the daisy wheel and slide in place and you're set. I've done bacon at 195 for 10 hours and it never moved more than a degree or two from 195. Ditto for when I used it for a turkey, brisket, pork butt, etc.
  • I have had a Digi Q II for over a year it works perfectly on all cooks over night or 6 to 8 hr cooks.
    Ross
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    The DigiQ II does do a good job maintaining a constant temperature. I can finally sleep at night smoking low and slow without having to get up every hour or so to check it. I also like the ramp feature where you can ramp the temperature down to hold the internal temperature steady until your ready to pull it, or run out of lump. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you make the investment.
  • newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    Got one for my husband for Christmas, he now can use it on either our large or small. He used it over the holidays and is so very pleased with it. He had no trouble using it and cooking some great meals. If you get it, you won't regret it. :)
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    What blower size should one get for the XL Egg?
  • Seen lots of responses advising to get the 10 cfm. I hope that is still the case because I ordered one about 45 minutes ago.
  • I have the 4cfm for the large and it works
    fine, but at least a 10 is recommended for the xl. I got the 4 knowing you can always order a larger fan assembly by itself later on. Good luck
  • PWise
    thanks a lot, will do the same...
  • I have the DigiQ II on my large BGE and it works excellent! Holds temps rock solid for hours and hours. I was cooking this past weekend in 15-20 MPH gusting winds with a temp hovering around zero. It held 250 dome rock solid for 6.5 hours without a blip.

Get the 10 CFM Pit Viper fan - it has a damper on it to decrease the flow if needed.

Good Luck!

Scott
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've never had the need for more air than my 4 puts out. -RP
  • PWise
    You have the 4 hooked up on an XL and all is good?
    or is it a Large as Scott's?
  • Todt
    I would like to thank everyone for their input on this post. You all have been very informative. Thank you.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    It's on a large. -RP