Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my Tender Quick

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My package from The Ingredient Store arrived today. I only ordered two bags of Tender Quick, but I wish I ordered more. The local grocery store didn't have any pork loin, but they had turkey breast on sale really cheap (like $.80/lb). So I brined one, using the directions on the package (one cup of TQ for every four cups of water). I ended up using the whole package. I'm going to brine/cure it for three days and smoke it. I hope this works! If it does, I think I'll have deli style smoked turkey.[p]I'll pick up some pork loin tomorrow and start curing that.[p]The package came with a recipe pamphlet and a couple of pamphlets on sausage making. They also sent me a free pen! I'm very pleased with their service. It arrived much sooner that I expected it to. I recommend ordering from them (I have no relationship with them, just a satisfied customer).[p]http://www.theingredientstore.com/
[ul][li]For all of your curing needs[/ul]

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    BluesnBBQ,
    Question. What does curing actually do, same as a brine? What are the benefits? I bought a jerkey curing package sometime ago, but have read about people making beef jerkey w/o curing it.
    Maybe I missed a thread below the went into this detai, sorry if I did.
    Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BluesnBBQ
    Wardster,[p]I'm not 100% sure, but I think curing preserves and flavors the meat. Brining flavors it and helps keep it moist. Meats like ham and bacon are usually cured and cold smoked.[p]Maybe someone who knows more about curing can chime in...
  • BluesnBBQ,
    You used way too much man.. I used 1/2 cup to cure a 10 pound brisket making pastrami last week..[p][p]
    Dylan

• BluesnBBQ,
    I agree with Dylan that's real heavy on TQ, when doing sausage I will use 1 tbsp for 7 pounds of meat.
    Don't leave the breast in there long.
    Jim

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Here is the differences between curing and brining......[p]Brining is a technique used to retain moisture and add flavors to meat. [p]Curing is a way of preserving meat......insuring that no bad bugs are left after cooking. It MUST be used when cold smoking or any type of cooking that is done in the danger zone...40-140º. I use it in my jerky making because I try to keep my temps around 150º....that means the meat will stay in that danger for more than 4 hours. It also allows me to store my jerky anywhere..no refrigeration needed. It is true, I probably don't need to use it, but my jerky will last forever. Understand, I make 25 - 30 lbs. at a time, so it will be around quite a while.[p]Brine curing...which the TQ package talks about...is the technique used to CURE large roasts. You need the brining action to get the cure INSIDE the meat. On small cuts, you simply sprinkle directly on, OR, like in jerky, you dissolve in your marinade.[p]Hope this helps! I think you may have used too much as I suspect you wanted to BRINE your turkey and not CURE it. [p]Please post back when you are finished...we may all learn something![p]Stogie
  • BluesnBBQ
    "Hope this helps! I think you may have used too much as I suspect you wanted to BRINE your turkey and not CURE it."[p]I want to cure it, using a brine recipe I got from the TQ package. I've brined many turkeys before, but not with TQ. [p]It said to use one cup for every four cups of water. It cook 16 cups of water to cover the turkey breast, so I used four cups. I'm hoping this will work as a cure and won't leave me with salty, inedible meat. I guess I'll find out tomorrow (the recipe said for birds up to ten lbs, cure for three days. I'm going to take it out a day early. If I screw it up, I won't be losing much - the turkey breast was around $5.00, and I have more Tender Quick.
  • BluesnBBQ,
    To cure is to ham the chicken breast if you get my meaning.
    It is ne thing to cure a ham and another to add TQ because of a low temp cook or for doing sausage or poultry.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Jim

• BluesnBBQ,
    Unless you will be smoking that breast at low 130°-160– temps for many hours it doenst need to be cured.. So I'm thinking you just want to use the cure to add color and flavor.. You didnt need to add a whole bag for that.. 1/2- 1 cup added to your brine would of worked, and even less if you just rubbed it in or injected it in..[p] [p]Dylan