Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Non-Egg Recipe Help Wanted: Carnitas -- Beli?

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good recipe for carintas? I'm getting ready to de-bone an 8 pound pork butt for buckboard bacon. I've been thinking about taking the short piece that comes off the bone and making carnitas with it, since it doesn't slice as well as the big side once it's made into bacon.

I pulled a few recipes off Food network, and a couple look like what I'm after, but I thought I would check in with the forum, particularly since our resident Mexican cooking expert is back in the saddle.

The best carnitas I've ever had were in a dive in Salt Lake City. The pork cubes were perfectly crisp outside and moist and tender inside. A friend took us there twice, but he's moved and I couldn't even begin to find the place the next time we were in SLC.

Comments

• BuffaloChip
    Options
    I've also been looking for a recipe for carnitas. I found this one that I was thinking of somehow adapting to the egg. Most recipes I found seem to be a combination of braising and roasting. Of course most also say to trim off excess fat which won't go over well here. :( I'm sure they will be better when done on an egg. Am looking forward to see what comes along.

BTW, my sister lives in Ozark, on the lake.

--Dave

Carnitas

4-5-pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 5-inch chunks, trimmed of excess fat
    1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
    2 tablespoons canola or neutral vegetable oil
    water
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 teaspoon chile powder
    1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
    2 bay leaves
    ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
    3 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly-sliced

1. Rub the pieces of pork shoulder all over with salt. Refrigerate for 1- to 3-days. (You can skip this step if you want. Just be sure to salt the pork before searing the meat in the next step.)
    2. Heat the oil in a roasting pan set on the stovetop. Cook the pieces of pork shoulder in a single layer until very well-browned, turning them as little as possible so they get nice and dark before flipping them around. If your cooking vessel is too small to cook them in a single-layer, cook them in two batches.
    3. Once all the pork is browned, remove them from the pot and blot away any excess fat with a paper towel, then pour in about a cup of water, scraping the bottom of the pan with a flat-edged utensil to release all the tasty brown bits.
    4. Heat the oven to 350F (180C) degrees.
    6. Add the pork back to the pan and add enough water so the pork pieces are 2/3rd's submerged in liquid. Add the cinnamon stick and stir in the chile powders, bay leaves, cumin and garlic.
    7. Braise in the oven uncovered for 3½ hours, turning the pork a few times during cooking, until much of the liquid is evaporated and the pork is falling apart. Remove the pan from the oven and lift the pork pieces out of the liquid and set them on a platter.
    8. Once the pork pieces are cool enough to handle, shred them into bite-sized pieces, about 2-inches (7 cm), discarding any obvious big chunks of fat if you wish.
    9. Return the pork pieces back to the roasting pan and cook in the oven, turning occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the pork is crispy and caramelized. It will depend on how much liquid the pork gave off, and how crackly you want them.
    I like mine deeply, darkly, crispy brown on the outside.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I did this early last year. It wasn't exactly carnitas, but it was good.

You could turn this recipe into carnitas by doing a dry roast or broil at the end to crisp it up. You could also trim the time by using pre-made sauce.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=451571&catid=1
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    That looks great! But it isn't Carnitas. :laugh: Gonna bookmark that page, though. That looks just like the kind of involved dish I like to tackle every now and then.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've made carnitas with pulled pork, but no pics. Just a quick and dirty marinade and put in a cast iron pan for a few minutes to crisp it up.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Ah, crispy bits of little meats...

I haven't made it, but:

Diana Kennedy's recipe has you cut 3 lbs of pork into cubes, season with a little salt, put in a heavy pan large enough that the cubes are in a single layer, with just enough water to cover, then simmer uncovered until the water is gone (about 2 hours). At that point you turn the cubes to each side and let all sides get lighly browned.

I have a pretty good shredded carnitas recipe, but it uses the slow cooker and the meat gets shredded/pulled and is very moist, not crispy (although you can crisp it up in a skillet, I guess). It's cooked with onions, Hatch chiles, cumin, oregano, and beer, so it's probably not quite the carnitas you're thinking of.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    The one I've found so far that looks the most authentic is from Emeril. Gotta love any recipe that starts with 3 pounds of pork and 2 pounds of lard! :woohoo:

Lard, water, orange and lime zest, and garlic. Braise for two hours then crank up the heat and deep fry the meat for 25 -30 minutes.
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Here's one from Rick Bayless' web site.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Sounds great! Can't wait to try it.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Whoa, that is one big recipe! It pretty much concurs with my Emeril recipe as to method. Thanks, he had temps for the oil in his, as opposed to Emeril's "medium-low" - "medium high".

What's your sister do in Ozark? We're on the completely opposite side of town. We're about 10 miles north of Springfield, and she's about that far south.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Will this help?

Pork, Butt, Carnitas, Latin

Carnitas is a very famous Mexican dish. It consists of braised pork and can be eaten by itself (and tortillas, a chili sauce) or as the filling in tamales, tacos and burritos (yuk). The pork is first simmered for a long time to make it really soft and then braised in the oven to make it crispy. Since the recipe is very simple and does not involve any chili sauces everyone likes carnitas. You can add the heat on your own as you eat it.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 16 Ozs Cans Chicken broth
    4 lbs Boneless pork shoulder
    1 Tbs chopped coriander (cilantro)
    1 Tbs chopped cummin (comino)
    Corn Tortillas
    2 bay leaves
    1 onion, quartered
    Chili sauce, such as Pico de gallo, chipotle or whatever you like

Pre-cooking*******
    1 Cut the pork meat in chunks and discard big pieces of fat, leave some fat as it adds to the flavor
    2 Chop the cilantro and cumin if you need to
    Cooking*******
    1 Set tall frying pan in mid-high heat
    2 Add the pork, cilantro, cummin, onion and broth
    3 If nescessary, add water so that the meat is covered
    4 Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3-4 hours or until the meat is very soft and pulls appart easily
    5 Remove the meat and place it in a roasting pan, discarding the onion and broth, brake appart the meat in smaller chunks
    6 Bake for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees, until the meat is brown and crispy
    7 Heat the tortillas and enjoy, you can serve it with your favorite chili sauce, chopped onions and cilantro
    Tips********
    1 A Pressure Cooker really helps here. If you like making dishes like this one often you should consider the pressure cooker. It will cut cooking time to half hour..
    2 Heating tortillas on a microwave: To heat tortillas you can wrap them in a kitchen towel and put them inside a container. Microwave 15 seconds per tortilla.

Recipe Type
    Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Hold on......writing the recipe... :)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    For aficionados of pork, carnitas(Little Pieces of Browned Pork) are an all-time favorite in Mexico. For some reason the carnitas in the state of Michioacan have always been considered the best...couldn't be any easier!!!! Here is the recipe!!!!!

3 POUNDS PORK SHOULDER, SKIN AND BONE REMOVED
    2 TEASPOONS SALT, OR TO TASTE

Cut the meat, with the fat, into strips about 2 by 3/4 inches. Barely cover the meat with water in a heavy wide pan. Add the salt and bring to a boil, uncovered. Lower the heath and let the meat continue cooking briskly untill all the liquid has evaporated- by this time it should be cooked through but not falling apart.
    Lower the heath a little and continue cooking the meat until all the fat has rendered out of it. Keep turning the meat until is lightly browned all over- total cooking time is about 1 hour 10 minutes.
    Serve immediately for best flavor & texture.

Carnitas can be eaten as a main course or as a hearty botana accompanied by guacamole or preferably a fresh green sauce or Salsa Mexicana Cruda

ENJOY ;)
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Gracias' mi amigo!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    It is hard to argue with Beli, because he is Mexican and lives in beautiful Monterey.

That said, the Rick Bayless recipe that was posted here sounds like the carnitas that we got when living in Tampico.

They were slow cooked in lard and they were WONDERFUL.

I had many kilos of carnitas that came out of an open washtub, cooking over an open fire. YUM.
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that it's a food law:

Slow Cooked in Lard = WONDERFUL!! ;)

BobS wrote:
    It is hard to argue with Beli, because he is Mexican and lives in beautiful Monterey.

That said, the Rick Bayless recipe that was posted here sounds like the carnitas that we got when living in Tampico.

They were slow cooked in lard and they were WONDERFUL.

I had many kilos of carnitas that came out of an open washtub, cooking over an open fire. YUM.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Emeril gets a little old after a while, but I've always agreed with one of his standard lines.

PORK FAT RULES! :woohoo:

I'm going to use his recipe.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    I'm also guessing that Mexican pork hasn't been genetically engineered to have no fat. I would guess that a pork shoulder in Mexico could render off enough fat to cook itself. I believe this cooking method is called "confit".