Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Puzzle

Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I need an answer from all of you that have ever done pizza on your BGE using a pizza stone AND a platesetter.

All of the information I had seen said to bring the BGE, the platesetter and the stone up to 550 or so. Last week someone told me that you should bring the platesetter and BGE up to 550 but DO NOT bring the stone up to that temp. Make your pizza on the stone outside the BGE and then put the stone in (with the pizza on board) to cook. The thinking was that it prevents the bottom from burning.[p]Any thoughts?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Wise One:[p]Per Spin, I stack a couple of stones (mine have feet and "self space") and preheat. I preheat in the range of 550º. I make the pizzas up on a wood peel and take off the cooker with a metal peel. If you are getting a hot spot on your stone are you using spacers between them?[p]By the way, your asparagus is waiting for you . . .
    [/b]
  • Wise One,[p]I would disagree with that. I have had good results bringing everything up to temp before I place the 'za. If you think about it, the floor of the pizza oven at your neighborhood pizzeria is hot. When I used to flip pies back in college, we tended to rotate the multiple pies in the oven so that the pizza closest to being done would be in the coolest part so the bottom wouldn't burn. We had a metal screen that we would put under an "almost done" pizza so that the top could cook without burning the bottom.[p]What I do with my Egg is check after about 12-15 minutes - if the bottom is to my liking but the top has a ways to go, I slide a piece of aluminum foil underneath. Has worked great so far - just like that old screen.[p]Hope that helps.[p]'Bread
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Wise One, the postings that I have read indicated that you should stabilize the dome up to temp with the plate setter inside. Then add the baking stone and let it heat for 5-10 minutes before putting on the pizza. The variation in time, that you let the stone warm before adding the pizza, depends upon how you like the crust cooked.[p]This works for me, CR
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Wise One,[p]Don't do that Bill -- the bottom will not cook. Bring it up to temp with the setter in there and then put in the stone for 10 min while you make the pie on the peel. Make sure it slides easily on the peel and then slide it on to the preheated stone.[p]Tim
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Wise One,
    I agree with everyone else. Preheat the plate setter with the egg, then heat the stone for 5-10 minutes before the pizza. [p]~nikki

[ul][li]Pizza Page[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Wise One, I make many pizzas I always cook the same simple way. Once I know my fire has taken hold at about 275-300 I put in my plate sitter and pizza stone together and bring the dome to a stable 525. Works for me - quite well in fact!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Pizza_06_21_0018_27_03_small.jpg
    <p />Wise One, it's been a while (actually too long) since I've done pizza, but for me the stone is pre-heated - the pizza gets dropped on the hot stone!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Wise One,
    I also preheat the stone and platesetter together from the start..usually cooking at around 550° for about 10-12 minutes...I think the choices of dough would also affect how the stone would turn them out, whether fresh made or from a can or from a bag..etc..[p]Wess

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Wise One,[p]Here's my 2 cents. I use the plate setter upsidedown. On top of that I place the 3 ceramic "feet" that came with the Egg. On top of the feet, the pizza stone. This allows an air gap between the setter and the stone. After you balance your temp (I'm a 500º kind of guy), let the stones warm for about 15 minutes. Slide on your pie for 10 min. (depending on the amount of toppings). If the underside of the first pie is too done, pull the stone off for a minute to allow to cool. Rarely is the first one over done.
    Hope it helps.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Wise One,
    I use a plate setter, feet down on the grill, a small BGE pizza stone (didn't know there was a large till later) then a large BGE stone. I heat all of that together for 20 mins or so at 5-550 degrees. I roll out my dough on the counter, then transfer to a wooden peel with corn meal and add the toppings there. Slide it onto the stone and set the timer for 12 mins. This works for me.

• Cornbread Willy,
    I too flipped pizzas in my youth, and used screens. In fact I have a couple that I bought from the local resturant supply house. Last night's pizzas were cooked perfectly (IM not so HO). I preheated the whole shootin' match to 550, and built and cooked the pizzas on the screen. When the top was almost done, I pulled the screen out, and browned the bottom on the hot stone. Man they were good. Even Qbabe who doesn't really like pizza said "we could do this every Friday night." Higher praise was never received!