Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How do I cook a Beef Brisket

Butch MButch M Posts: 52
edited 8:27AM in EggHead Forum
Hello Folks, I know this has been addressed on the forum, but being from the south, I had never heard or seen much a Beef Brisket, so I didn’t pay much attention. Yesterday, I found a 6 lb Brisket and thought I would give it a try[p]Do I need to brine it? If so, can someone offer a recipe and length of time? How long at what temperature should I cook? My wife is sure this piece of meat is going to be tough, but I assured her, the folks on the forum would tell us how to cook it
Thank you in advance for your help.

·

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,339
    Butch M,
    This picture story Qfan put together might help a bit. No brining necessary. Marinades can be very good. But all you really need is your favorite beef rub, and some time! [p]Good luck!
    Chris

[ul][li]Qfan's Brisket Story[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • KipKip Posts: 87
    Butch M,
    Look in the recipe section for Elder Ward's World Class Brisket. It is awesome!

·
  • Butch MButch M Posts: 52
    Butch M,
    Thank you so much. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Can't wait to try it.

·
  • ravnhausravnhaus Posts: 311
    Butch M,
    Here is how I do it.
    Works every time!

[ul][li]Brisket on an egg[/ul]
    ·
  • Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 302
    ravnhaus,
    Thanks for another of your wonderful picture essays - makes me want to go out a buy a brisket today!

·
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Great pics of the how-to's on briskets. Question for you though: what internal temp do you cook a brisket to?[p]Thanks - Bob
    ·
  • JSlotJSlot Posts: 1,218
    Bob,[p]Over the years, I've found that pulling my briskets off at 190-195° gives the product I'm looking for, which is easily sliceable but not falling apart. I used to pull 'em at 200+° when I first started and they would fall apart when you put the knife to 'em. I measure my temp in the flat, which is almost falling apart at 195° anyway, and the point is very, very sliceable. You need to experiment and learn what texture you and those you serve like best. Lately, I've been getting more and more requests for briskets and that's a good thing![p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

·