Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small and Mini Dome Temp Weirdness

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about at my wit's end trying to figure out what the real temp of the small and mini are during a cook. If I put anything on them which takes up a lot of grate (steak, roast, chicken), the dome temp drops severely throughout the entire cook. I will see the temp sitting at 350 or so and open it up and the coals are bright red-orange and grill temp is searing temp for sure. It seems that the food blocks the air flow to the dome and really distorts the temp. I haven't run into it on the big one because there is so much more space either around the food or between pieces.[p]I've ended up burning a few too many things because it is damn hard to judge temps in these little guys. Any ideas?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]Do you have a slide/daisy chimney top or are you going naked up there? I found that in the large the dome temps are more equal if there is a chimney top to restrict the heat. I have never done much testing in my small but if I am doing anything except steaks, I will use the small slide/daisy and I can regulate the temps pretty well. That long dome thermo isn't touching the meat is it?? I know where you can get one that's 2" shorter.[p]Tim
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tim M, and it doesn't work to cut two inches off of your current thermometer. :-) Actually, one thing I learned to do (even with the short ones) is to remove the inside clip. That way if it touches something, it pushes itself out rather than impaling itself in the meat. Also, if I want to test it during a cook, I can do it easily.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I gave up using the clips for several reasons but twisting it out of calibration was #1. Good point about it moving if it touches food.[p]Tim
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    Tim M,
    I don't have a small but I tend to measure the temp with a polder stuck down in the top vent on my medium. That way I am sure that the thermometer is not touching the meat. May be something else to try.[p]Steve

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Tim M,
    I put the clip on before putting the probe in the dome. That way I can adjust how far it goes in, without it touching the meat.[p]Ken

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    BlueSmoke, I cut a wine cork down a bit, drilled a hole through the middle and used this as a "spacer" between the front of the thermometer & dome of my mini. This has worked just fine for years - but I keep ending up with extra wine corks.... JCA