Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Pork

Options
CR
CR Posts: 175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Smoked some pork loin the other night and it came out very good. Did the following:
Tablespoon of Tenderquick per pound of meat
Teaspoon Brown Sugarper pound of meat
Rub mixture into meat thoroughly
Put in Zip-lock bag in refrigerator for 7-10 days; turn daily[p]When ready, rinse meat in cold water and then soak in cold watr for 1/2 hour before smoking.[p]The above is the basic Cured Pork Recipe from the Ugly Brothers Web-site.[p]To finish I stabilized my Egg at about 210° threw in two big handfulls of Hickory chips and put the meat on direct. This provided very heavy smoke for the first 20-45 minutes. Pulled when meat internal temp was 150° After cooling cut into approx one pound pieces and then into Food Saver Bags for freezing. [p]Result was extreemly lean Canadian style bacon. Pinkish color almost like ham. High in Hickory smoke flavor but not overpowering if you fry like bacon later. Next time I think I will only let internal temp get to about 140°.[p]If you like bacon try this, it was very easy as well as rewarding.[p]

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    CR,[p]I've been meaning to try this. Do they sell Tender Quick in greocery stores, or will I have to order it or look for it at a specialty food store?
  • CR
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, I searched all over for this stuff and non of the markets or butcher shops carried it. Stumbled upon it in a new Albertson's Market thet was having its Grand Opening in Tucson. TenderQuick is made by Morton Salt. It comes in a little blue bag and I found it next to the Morton Salt products.[p]Hope you find it as this was fun to do. Next time I will also use a cut of pork with more fat on it; maybe even a small pork butt cut in half horizontally. The loin was so lean I had to add a little oil to the skillet to fry it.[p]

• site1059.jpg
    <p />CR,
    I have done the same thing with boneless Boston Butt sliced in half. I like to brush them with honey or maple syrup before smoking. I try to keep the cooker below 200 deg while smoking and take the meat off the cooker when it reaches 140 deg internal. I also use hickory for the smoke. I have two pork loins that have been curing for 6 days now. They should be ready to smoke this weekend.[p]rj

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I looked for Tender Quick at two grocery stores tonight. Didn't find it. Anyone know a good source for it in Maryland? (PG or Howard County)
  • Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,

WalMart Supercenters carry tenderquick in our area.
    George[p][p][p][p]

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    CR,
    What is tender quick? I know what it is supposed to do, but was wondering what it really is. Anybody know? I am guessing we will be hearing from Stogie pretty soon. [p]Seth

• seth,
    TenderQuick contains Salt, Sugar, 0.05% Sodium Nitrate, 0.05% Sodium Nitrite,Propylene Glycol. For more info check out the link.

[ul][li]Tender Quick[/ul]
  • CR
    Options
    rj, that looks great. I think will use a Boston Butt next time as the pork loin was a little too lean to use like bacon, although the smoked loin certainly will have some very good uses. This weekend we will be making Eggs Benedict with the smoked loin; it should be awesome.[p]Do you have any problems holding your dome temp down at 200°? Any pointers?[p]I never thought that this would be so easy as well as so much fun.[p]Thanks, CR

• CR,
    I don't have a Egg yet. I cook with a WSM and don't have any problem keeping the temp at 180/200. I have found I don't need much lump when smoking the butt bacon. It only takes 2 to 3hrs for it to reach an internal temp of 140.[p]rj