Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Dutch oven for the egg?

Options
TBQue
TBQue Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy New Year!! I want to start cooking in a dutch oven. Any recommendations as to what to buy. Cast Iron?

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    You might want to tell the forum what size egg you have and do you care if it's cast iron, a little more work to keep seasoned or an enameled one. You will get better answers that way.

Good Luck,
    Bordello

I use a 5 qt. Lodge cast iron in my large but I think a 7 qt would fit. I have no need for one that big.
  • TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    Options
    I have a large BGE and I don't care what type of material the dutch oven is made of.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    One of the biggest sins of owning and egg is not having a DO. No using DO lids when cooking in the egg otherwise you may as well cook with the DO in the oven and save the lump.

Cooking wise you won't taste a lot of difference using CI or Ceramic. Ceramic is supposed to be better for acidic foods but cooking tomato based foods hasn't been a problem for me in the CI DO.

I like the 7qt over the 5 qt as I can cook smaller amounts of food in the 7 qt but I can't go larger in the 5 qt.

If you don't do camp fire cooking I would get the DO w/o feet and pick up a tjv spider for the large.

No need to use the plate setter with a DO as the CI DO does the work for indirect or direct.

I do use the plate setter or pizza stone in my aluminum ceramic dutch oven pans. Cast Iron or ceramic cast iron I only use the grid or spider.

If only one dutch oven - cast iron, no feet, 7qt.

You won't regret it.

GG
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Here is what I use on my Egg...

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=502193

I used it today in fact to make Sweet N sour Pork Chops... Eggcellent results :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If spending that much money for a 'glass' cooking device why not get La Creuset.

Walmart has some good ceramic coated cast iron ovens for $19 to $29. Army/Navy stores have great cast iron dutch oven's in the same price range.

Less expensive cast iron, just get non pitted surfaces and watch for a good all around lid fit. The lid fit isn't all that important if using only in the egg as you won't be using the lid.

GG
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    My Mom gave me the Visions to me when she bought her La Creuset... I got mine for free :laugh:

I just woke my wife up from sleep to tell her that we had given away expensive stuff because I liked my Lodge cast iron skillet and pans so much I gave the other Vision cookware about three years ago except the Dutch oven go figure because it was the perfect size :whistle: :pinch: :woohoo: :unsure: at least it was free just don't tell my Mom ok :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That is the best way to get stuff... :)

I was surprised when I saw the price for that oven though.

I have used pyrex on the egg but there is a problem with thermal shock with pyrex as well as higher heats.

I have wondered if the cast iron in the egg makes food taste better or if it is just the egg itself.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Just gave Bubba Tim the 7 qt Lodge cast iron Dutch Oven for Christmas, especially for Egg Use. (ask around...bubba tim has a bit of history destroying chef wifes equipment...LOL) :woohoo: Have two enameled dutch ovens, but they are smaller. Anything tomato based we do in the enameled. Other than that, Lodge, pre seasoned (Bass Pro Shop), is the way to go. If you have neither, opt for the enameled! K-Mart, too, has very reasonable prices on these! Hope this helps.
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    Porcelain coated is the best (ie: Le Creuset, etc.), but usually much more expensive than seasoned cast iron. You never have to worry about re-seasoning it. I ruined a small LeCreuset dutch oven on my Weber years ago and so my wife gave it to me, along with a few choice words. I turned the outside of it black and she could never get it to return to the original color. If you cook tomatoe based recipes in seasoned cast iron, or get it too hot like trying to blacken fish, it will burn off the seasoning and you will have to re-season it. Google Lodge Cast Iron and check out the website for caring for cast iron.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Lodge 5 or 7qt CI(depending on the size of your Egg). You'll spend 30 to 40 bucks instead $279 for a Le Creuset. No brainer.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have about 5 dutch ovens all cast, mostly lodge and a few le creuset. Love them all. I use all the sizes too. sometimes you just do not need great big huge and I love my little 2 qt.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i use them all. best is the lecrueset, but the cheap marshalls enameled knockoffs work just as well in the egg, for indoors on a simmer plate the expensive stuff really shines but for in an oven environment like the egg it does not matter. for cast iron i like the number 12 camp style deep lodge with the legs and sit it on a pizza stone or bricks. the camp style lid is usable as a griddle where the regular dutch has basting knobs in the lid making it pretty much useless in the egg for cooking. i like to have both enameled and regular cast iron, i dont like searing in enameled, and i dont like acidic foods in regular cast so for me each has a place
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    I agree w/ fishlessman: Lodge camp style. Although I'm fairly new to the DO cooking on the egg, I like having the legs on my DO to provide air space between the oven and the stone I cook on (don't have to use feet). The lid can be used as a skillet, though I haven't tried it yet. I do cover some of my cooks w/ the lid. After the smokey taste has flavored the chili, pot roast, etc., I cover to keep the liquid from cooking down. I also have the Lodge lid lifter and lid holder. The lid lifter can be used to lift grids, too, sort of like thirdeye's third hand.