Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

End Sear on Chicken?

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I know this sounds crazy, but I was in an odd mood and since I was just grilling some chicken for caesar's salads I figured why not.

Pounded two boneless skinless breasts to a pretty uniform thickness, seasoned with kosher salt and lemon pepper.

Started them on the mini at 275 direct - raised on the miniwoo2, flipped every 3-4 minutes until they hit 130*. Then I opened the mini and it jumped to 500* in about a minute (I love that little sucker). Flipped the breasts once more after about 2 minutes, took them to 162*, and pulled them.

After a brief rest I sliced them for the salads and could not believe it. The exterior was nice and crisp without being tough and the interior was the most moist and juicy b/s breasts I have ever done. They were also incredibly tender - almost like salmon - just buttery and really really good.

Did I stumble across something here - has anyone ever done anything similar - did I get lucky with some incredibly good chicken - or did I imagine they were so good because of this ridiculous new year diet thing?

Comments