Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mussels on the egg.....ideas?

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a bag of mussels today.....I am thinking of using some orange wood and putting the mussels, still in their shell, on a rack in the BGE at about 250*. I will cook them for about 20 minutes or so after they open.[p]Any BGE ideas other than this simple approach?[p]Fritz

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Fritz, we do oysters in the shell like that down here. We let the temp do pretty much what it wants with the bottom vent wide open and the daisy open. They open and start slobbering. That's when we finish opening them, cut them loose from the shell and let people lift them off the shell and dip them in a secret concoction of real butter, sour cream, and some crole seasoning. We keep the butter mixture hot with a fondu pot. Some people like theirs well done and some like them just after the shell pops open. Either way, when the shell opens, the oyster has gotten to the boiling point and is done. This is one of our favorite "stand-around-drinking-and-talking" items. Good luck with yours.

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I have done oysters that way too, only I have not done them with smoke. I figured it would work with the mussels, and it did. :-)[p]Fritz
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Its been a dozen or more years since I had oyster on the half shell. Your ruining me man!! I gotta have that one!! Thank's...
    Humble Char-Woody