Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Slightly More Done Chicken...

jeffinsgfjeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited 4:46AM in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to be more scientific in my cooking. I've been judging "done" by the seat of my pants for 10 years. I'm usually pretty darn close to perfect, but I hit over done much more than under done. That didn't bother my wife much, but it annoys me to go past the point of perfect. However, "perfect" is a moving target, depending on one's taste. I just finished a spatchcocked chicken that was my first since getting my new Thermapen. Just like it says on the Whiz's site, I had 160 in the thickest part of the breast and 180 (plus, actually) in the thigh. It was "done" but I would have been happier with it a little more done, and my wife was on the verge of telling me to put it back on the grill.

So how much more temperature do I want in my chicken? Where's fall off the bone and where's approaching dry?
·

Comments

• Did my first spatchcock chicken tonight. Cooked the thigh to 180. The breast was moist and tender. The thigh was moist and tender. Juices were clear. Best chicken I have cooked to date. Family loved it. We will do this again, and again!
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    I like to get the dark meat to 195. If the breasts are done before that (165*) then leave the quarters on - a quick cut across the skin and they will separate.
    ·
  • jeffinsgfjeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Thanks, Rod. I think I'll shoot for 195 and 170 next time.
    ·
  • TXTrikerTXTriker Posts: 1,177
    I hear ya. My wife wants her chicken more done than 160 and 180. At times, I agree with her.
    ·