Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever done one of these on the egg? Any suggestions?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Sandi,
    My favorite way is to put the corned beef on indirect at 230° or so, for 2 hours with lots of hickory chunk. After 2 hours I check the internal temp and transfer the corned beef to a crockpot where I simmer it to finish.[p]Yesterday's corned beef was removed from the cryovac, rinsed thoroughly under cold running water and patted dry. Then I applied a coating of equal parts of peppercorns and coriander seed, both coarsely cracked. To the water in the crockpot I added the spice package and 2 Tablespoons of granulated garlic.[p]The leftovers that were supposed to make lunch next week turned to after dinner "just-another-nibbles."[p]Ken

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Sandi, I searched the archives and came to the conclusion that if you do a low and slow on the egg the corned beef would be like pastrami. That's true, it is salty and pastrami like. I plan to make ruebens tomorrow with the left overs! And they will bw fine, fine, fine!

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Sandi,[p]That is the only way I ever do mine..on my smoker. First thing you gotta do or you'll ruin it.........Soak for 2 hours minimum and change the water several times. Otherwise...you will be eating a salt block. The traditional way of cooking corned beef is to boil it in water....no need to soak in that case.[p]Then just cook like a brisket. I take mine to 185-195º internal for maximum tenderness. Many suggets a temp of 145-165º, but you better have a slicer for it..otherwise, far too tough for my tatses.[p]You can skip the smoke as well. Below are the spices I use.....[p]Corned Beef [p]2 tablespoon(s) Peppercorns
    1/2 tablespoon Coriander seeds
    1/2 tablespoon Onion powder
    1 teaspoon Thyme, dried
    1 teaspoon Paprika
    1 teaspoon Garlic powder[p]PREPARATION:
    Soak corned brisket for 2 hours.
    Grind peppercorns and coriander seeds. Add remaining ingredients.
    Rub this on the corned beef brisket.
    Wrap and let sit overnight.
    Slow cook brisket at 275º(uncovered) for about 1 1/2hr./lb.
    Meat temps need to be near 185º or above.[p]Source: Randy's Q page